RESTART

Vihaan texted me to meet him in person at the nearby café. I was happy to, if that would clear all the issues between Vaidehi and me. I dressed up and went there. 'You cried your eyes out? Look at your face ... like a ghost. Come, sit over here,' he said, pulling a chair for me. 'Ghost? That's too much okay,' I said and took the chair. 'Rad, are you okay? I apologise for her behaviour. She is so possessive of you. That's why she reacted like that. Our father is also sad to know this. Our parents have given her more care and spoiled her, saying she is weak. That has given her a licence to do whatever,' he said.

'It's okay, Vihaan. How is she now? Is she alright? What happened back home yesterday?' I was curious to know about her. 'She cried for an hour and then she was alright. Father has induced some sense into her. She was able to calm down then,' he said. 'Actually I feel so sorry that everything happened like this. I never wanted to leave her. But...' I paused. 'Oh, Rad...come on, don't even think like that. Our family is thankful that you have been a constant support for her all these years. And now that she behaved like this, we feel so wrong,' he said. 'Well, just let go of it already. Where is she now?' I asked. 'She is right there, hiding behind that door, embarrassed to face you after yesterday's drama,' he said.

I ran straight to her and hugged her. 'Oh God, I am out of breath. Can you loosen your arms now?' she asked. I did and we laughed. 'Rad, I am so sorry, okay...I know I was so over yesterday. I never cared about you. I was always selfish, forcing you to do whatever I wanted. But you never complained. You were always making me happy, doing the things I like. I should be grateful to you, because you were always around me, taking care of me. Instead, see how badly I behaved. I feel so terrible. I should have respected your choice. Now that I look back, I wonder how you could tolerate me,' she started blubbering, uttering these words. 'Oh dear, everyone is staring. They might think I am bullying you,' I said.

We sat around, having a coffee. 'So did you two make up?' he asked. 'Mmm,' I said. 'This short fight...why did you make such a huge scene yesterday?' he made fun of us. 'That's how we adults fight,' I said. 'That's how you kids fight,' he said. 'Kid, go away,' she said. 'Who's the kid here? I am just a year younger than you both. But you girls are still younger than me when it comes to handling emotions. Ask her, how greatly I advised her yesterday. Even our father was tearing up on hearing my words,' he said. 'Wow, you are so full of yourself. He was looking at you like that, realising how failure you are, to copy those movie dialogues and recite in such a time,' she said. I couldn't stop laughing. 'Don't cook up stories,' he said angrily. 'And wait...keep that aside. Who said you are just one year younger? You are two years younger than us,' she said. 'Why are you bringing that up? It's just one year and some months,' he said. 'One year and ten months. How is that rounded to one year?' she continued. 'Can you both stop?' I tried to interrupt. 'See, she is least interested. She doesn't care about my age,' he said. 'What the heck Vihaan...she is your sister. Don't try to flirt with her,' she said. I was already fed up with this nonsense conversation. He continued and replied: 'I have only one sister.' 'Boy, that's too much. She is like our family too,' she said. 'I never said no to that. I just can't accept the fact that you are trying to make us siblings,' he said and at that point I really wondered if that silly boy was really being serious. 'I'll kick your ass or go away,' she said. He went berserk and got away just with that.

'Did you submit the application form?' she asked. 'Not yet. I was waiting for your positive response,' I said. 'Wow, how did I get such a sweet friend? I am so happy. Let's go there together okay?' she said. 'Deal. And I'll accompany you for your exam. Did you get the admit card?' I asked her. 'Yes, thankfully, the school is not that far. Let's go together,' she said. That simple conversation made us close again. We decided to start anew, accepting how we are and what we have got. Like mom said, our friendship will never get broken because of a silly fight or just because we are going to different colleges. I was always ready to cheer for her, no matter whether we stood close or far.