DARKER SHADES OF LIFE

Time flies. Sometimes we fail to realise that the day is already over. Because, before we come to an acceptance, the night will be popping up. Days and nights passed in the blink of an eye. Vaidehi joined the Nagpur campus and she got busy with her studies. Even then, she rang me twice or thrice in a week. Vihaan and uncle visited us every once in a while. Reyansh, Reshma and Ashna became more close to my heart. I shared everything with them and that made us more like a family. They constantly visited us. Mom was drained in the sorrows of the past. But still, their visits made home more lively. And she had her mother to console her, though from afar. Lakshmi and Abraham went official even after she claimed it wrong straight to my face.

I found a letter written by my father in the drawer. 'Dear daughter, I don't know if I'll be alive when you read this letter. I am sorry dear. I was rich. But I couldn't hold on to my wealth. I was kind. I never saw through people. I never thought I'd get backstabbed. I thought I was brilliant. But in the blink of an eye, half of my properties went to those cheaters. I am not greedy. I am happy as long as you both are alive and happy. The most worthy treasure I am scared of losing is my family. I hope you'll be strong, no matter what happens. I am happy that I was able to protect the one you wanted. The art gallery you have dreamt of...it is still safe and the deed is in our locker. I know you are smart. I know you are strong. I know you'll take care of it well. I know you'll be able to make your mom proud. I hope that my daughter will one day become the best entrepreneur. I hope that the world will recognize you, sweetie. And yeah, Reyansh is a good boy. We have met many times secretly. I know you so well that I could see who has your heart. He feels the same. Be each other's helping hand. Thank you for being a sweet kid throughout this long journey. I can still feel the warmth of your hug. You have done the best as a daughter. I miss you darling...' I read his letter. I couldn't stop my tears. I became so emotional after reading it. He prepared it earlier. Maybe he was aware of something.

Though I became happy again, mom was still wounded by the incident. My semester exams are over. I planned to take mom to a happy place. We booked a countryside heritage resort. Reyansh said he'll be joining us. Reshma was busy with her exams. Ashna wanted to join us, but her father was acting a bit strict. His point was, it was not safe to travel alone like that. Even though my mom was there, he couldn't feel it was safe. Maybe he was afraid of Reyansh's presence. But I pressured and forced him. Finally, he gave in. He asked us to take some safety weapons and all. He was being a protective dad. I could totally understand that, especially as someone who missed her father terribly.

We reached there early in the morning. A calm and warm place made us all relax. We went to play on the beach, right after having breakfast. We forced mom to play along with us, but she decided to stay back there, away from water.

'See this. Lakshmi and Abraham has posted a picture together,' Ashna showed us. 'So what? Isn't it normal, when they are dating?' Reyansh asked. 'Have you ever taken a picture together?' she asked us. We pointed to each other, asking 'us?' and she nodded. 'Why would we?' I asked. 'Yeah. Why would we when we aren't official yet?' he asked. 'Hey...' I said. 'Don't hey at me. Be respectful,' he said. 'Who said that's not respectful?' I asked. 'Why should you talk about respect and all? You aren't married yet,' Ashna said. 'Why are you talking about marriage when we haven't even dated yet?' he asked. I was surprised on hearing that. 'Aren't you tired?' she asked. We were like 'what the heck is she saying?' 'Is it so hard to confess?' she continued. 'If it is so easy, why are you still single?' he asked back to her and she was smiling like a clown. 'Don't make a fool of yourself,' he advised her. 'Hey, that's because she have not found her Mr. Right yet,' I said. 'Who said so?' he asked. We both were shocked to hear that. Later only I realized that it was different kinds of shock. She was shocked because of the fact that Reyansh knew this. I was shocked because of my stupidity only. 'She has been giving away that 70's vibe when she sees that senior who has a crush on her,' he said. 'What vibe is that?' I asked. She laughed. 'That...I cannot explain that. It is a kind of vibe when you get an 'aahh' feeling from inside,' he said. 'What bullshit explanation is that?' she asked. 'Yeah. She don't give away 'aahh' or 'eeee' vibe to anyone. You watch so many bad movies may be,' I said. 'Who told you they give away that vibe in bad movies? So you watch dirty movies too?' he asked. 'Yuck. Stop this shitty talk,' I said. 'This was an interesting talk unless you butted in,' he said. 'Serves right then,' I said.