Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One | Forth of July

Date 📆 July 2023

Fahayra, Joe, and the kids were making an appearance at the annual Mattio Fourth of July Block Party/Barbecue.

"Do you realize that Joe and you are matching?" Kandi asked Fahayra.

Fahayra nods.

"The moment he saw what I was wearing, he changed clothes," Fahayra answered.

"So, are you two working on things?" Kandi asked.

"We're doing something," Fahayra replied, keeping it vague.

Kandi nods.

"Well as long as you're doing something," Kandi said.

Fahayra rolls her eyes.

"How are you and Josh?" Fahayra asked.

"Honestly, I'm still feeling some type of way, but the sex has been amazing like really good," Kandi answered with a smile.

"Sex? The sex is that good for you to forgive him," Fahayra said.

Kandi nods.

"I mean it's good but we're also working things out. We're in counseling. I want my marriage and I'm not giving up, I don't care what anyone says or think about it," Kandi said.

"Good for you, Kandi," Fahayra said.

Holt comes running over and sits on Fahayra's lap with his head resting on her chest.

"He seems so attached to you," Kandi said.

Fahayra places a hand on Holt's head.

"You think so? I mean from the day we met he has just been my little shadow," Fahayra said.

"How do you feel... You know having his other kids around?" Kandi asked Fahayra.

Fahayra shrugged.

"Just like how our mothers felt when they brought us together. My issues with their father and mother have nothing to do with them. I'll care for them as my own because they're innocent in all of this," Fahayra explained to Kandi.

Kandi nods.

"Our moms were good examples, weren't they?" Kandi asked.

"Yeah, that's the only reason why I'm able to handle all of this," Fahayra answered as she laughed, watching her kids running around.

Jairo, Jeremias, Kyanne, Fenix, and Felix zoomed through the grass, their feet completely bare of any shoes and giggling like mad as they tried to evade their older cousins.

Joe and Joshua walk over and Bob carefully set down plates of food in front of Kandi and Fahayra on the table.

"Oh, thank you, babe," Kandi said as she kissed Joshua on the cheek.

"You're welcome," Joshua said as he takes a seat next to her.

"I got all of your favorites," Joe tells Fahayra as he takes a seat next to her, placing his arm on the back of her chair.

"Thank you," Fahayra said.

"Is he asleep?" Joe asked Fahayra while looking at Holt.

"No, he's just chilling," Fahayra answered.

"Okay, do you want me to hold him so you can eat?" Joe asked Fahayra.

Fahayra shakes her head no.

"No, I'm good," Fahayra replied.

"So, y'all celebrated twenty years, how was it?" Joshua asked Fahayra and Joe.

Joe and Fahayra gave each other a look before Joe answered.

"It was good," Joe answered.

"Yup," Fahayra said.

They sat in listen after that until Joe and Joshua left to go play flag football. Kandi went to catch up with someone and Holt also left to play the other kids in the bounce house.

About fifty minutes into the party, Fahayra was ready to leave. People kept asking her about her and Joe. She was annoyed. Really on the verge of tears.

"What's wrong?" He asked under his breath.

He grabbed Fahayra's face and immediately started looking over her face. Fahayra frowned as she reached up and grabbed his wrists but didn't pull his hands off of her face.

"I'm fine," She whispered.

Joe's eyes softened when he saw the tears building in hers.

She finally pulled his hands away from her face and  he pulled her into his chest. He wrapped her tightly in his arms.

"What happened?" He asked her.

"It's okay," She whispered. "I'm okay," She added as she looked up at him.

"Don't lie to me," He said as he wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. "I know something is wrong," He told her.

Fahayra sighed as they looked into each other's eyes.

"Everyone keeps asking me about us, and I'm over it," She said.

"I'm sorry," He said.

"Yeah," She said.

Fahayra rolled her eyes when Joe slid his hand down her back and found her ass.

"Just tune them out and enjoy the rest of the party with me," He said.

"I wouldn't have to tune them out if you didn't mess up, Joe," She said as she hit his shoulder, pushing him back. He grabbed her hand and pulled her back into his chest.

"I know and I'm sorry, I'm doing everything to make it right for you...For us," He said, tightening his arms around her waist.

Fahayra pouted.

"Don't you feel tired of saying sorry?" She asked him as she lazily draped her arm across his stomach.

"I think I'll be saying I'm sorry to you for the rest of our lives, Fah," He answered as he sighed.