Chapter 5- Lavender Haze

*Flashback*

October 2020

Jennifer- 15

Caitlin- 18

Caitlin's POV

Caitlin had been in a funk for days. After Dowling didn't even make it to the state championship game never mind winning it she was sad and worried. Worried that if she picked a top school that she wouldn't be able to lead them to a National Championship. That she would crack underneath the pressure. Her decision date was coming up for when she had to pick her college and that stressed that if she made the wrong choice it would lead to not being happy and not having friends. She knew she was cocky and very competitive and some people didn't like that. Her true friends were the ones she made through basketball especially USA basketball. Paige and Hailey were like her sisters and knew how it felt to be called overrated at games. Nowadays she spent all her time in her room and only came out for meals and school. It was scaring her family.

Colin's POV

For the past two weeks all Caitlin does is sit up in her room. We all have no clue what is going on. She won't talk to any of us even at dinner. We have tried everything to get her to come out. She always says she's busy or doesn't even respond. We have tried to be nice and give her, her space but two weeks is too long. It's time to bring out the big guns. Otherwise known as the Girlfriend.

Jennifer's POV

Colin told me today that after school I needed to come over to his house.  We have been friends for years and no that I'm dating his sister we are even closer. I arrived at the Clark house soon after school ended and saw Caitlin's car in the driveway. That meant that whatever Colin wanted me over for was done I could spend some time with my girlfriend. Which was great because I hadn't seen Caitlin that much recently and wanted to see her. I walked inside to see Colin watching TV and knew Caitlin was probably upstairs doing homework.

"What's up dork? Why did I need to come over after school?" I asked.

"I need you to come sit down and then we will talk," Colin said.

"Ok," I said suspiciously. I came over and sat on the couch across from him.

"I need you to fix Caitlin," is what Colin stated plainly.

"What? I'm confused. Fix her?" I asked.

"She hasn't been acting like herself the past two weeks and whenever she is not at school or eating dinner she is in her room," Colin said, "We have tried everything to get her to come down but she never does."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I exclaimed.

"We thought she would snap out of it faster than this but she hasn't which is why I told you to come over today," Colin told me. After a couple more minutes of talking to Colin about what they thought would work to fix her I decided to head up to Caitlin's room. I knew knocking would do me no good from what Colin had told me so I just opened the door and walked in. I found her curled up under her covers facing away from the door while Gilmore Girls played on her TV. I softly closed her bedroom door and climbed in the other side of her queen sized bed. I knew she wasn't asleep but she also wouldn't speak first.

"Are we going to talk about it or just sit in silence?" I asked.

"Sit in silence," Caitlin replied.

"Here's what I think," I said as Caitlin let out a frustrated sigh, "I think that you should stop worrying about the outside noise and just keep going. Some grouchy old man, who has not picked up a basketball in 30 years, should have any say in whatever college you pick."

"They shouldn't but they still do," Caitlin replied, "Every time I think I know which school I want to go to I turn on the TV and their on there telling me why it's a terrible option. I wish I could just announce my choice and not worry about what other people had to say about it."

"You can if you stop putting so much pressure on yourself to make the decision yo think other people want you to make," I told her, "Your parents won't stop loving you because you decided to go to Notre Dame and Blake won't hate you because you go to Iowa, his rival school. All that matters is that you like the school you pick and you like your teammates and coaches."

"You sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Then what happens to us when I go to college?"

"We stay together and figure it out as we go along."

"You think that we can do that?" Caitlin questions.

"I do," I respond, "I think we can do anything together."

We ended the night watching Gilmore Girls and cuddling.

Notes

Sorry I've been gone for so long! I hope to get back to writing and updating regularly!