Chapter 1|Everyone Starts Somewhere

"Life is a little rough around the edges, but there's always a point to it." That's something my father used to say to me whenever I was upset, but I never understood what it meant.

My name is Shohari Hengaku. Although my friends call me Sho, at least the friends that stick around. I'm not really good at making or keeping friends, people say I'm too rough or mean.

But I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself. This isn't a story about how I'm bad at making friends. No, this is the story of how I went to UA High and became a hero. One who saves people and stops villains, all in the hopes to better the world.

However before I tell you my journey to become a hero, I must first tell you where I started.

Shohari Hengaku: Origins

I was very young when my mother left.

"Mummy, where are you going? Can I come with you?" I said with a quiver in my voice.

"No dear, I'm sorry but you can't come with me. It's better this way, if you came with me you wouldn't be able to be a hero like you always wanted." My mother said softly. Although she can be quite stern and blunt, my mum was always gentle with me when she spoke.

"Come on now Sho, it's time for your mother to go," my father said while placing his large rough hand over my nimble shoulder.

"Will I ever see you again mummy?" I asked.

"Of course you will sweetie. And I can't wait for you to visit," she said with a warm and comforting smile.

My mother is a quirk genetic researcher, meaning she studies how quirks interact with someone's genetics and what the likely hood of a child getting a quirk and what that quirk may be. She specialises I'm the research of quirk combos, which in basic terms is how someone may get a unique combination of their parent's quirks.

The reason my mother left was because of her research. She was invited to live on I-Island, a haven for scientists who research and discover new ways to improve the quirks of heroes. This was a great opportunity for my mother to further her research, except there was one problem.

Since everything on I-Island is classified, the researchers and their families are required to stay on the island to avoid any leaks. But my father and I would be better off staying in Japan, meaning my mum had to go off by herself so we could all achieve our dreams.

After Mum left Dad continued to look after me by himself while also juggling with his work as a support item designer. Life was pretty easy since my Dad got a lot of money from his work and we'd often get money from my Mum to support us.

My Dad continued working while I went to school. I wasn't the most popular kid in middle school, and I didn't have many friends. I was even made fun of sometimes for having a weak quirk, but I didn't let that stop me from reaching my goal of becoming a hero.

Worthless but not Quirkless

Today was a regular day as always. I was at my middle school doing things that an average nobody does. But today was a day I dread every year. Quirk assessment day.

"Alright everyone, we'll be doing quirk tests today. Everyone line up by seat number and we'll take turns practising our quirks," said my P.E. teacher.

Some of my classmates had turns showing off their quirks and using them as best as possible.

"Very good, alright who's next," the teacher said while gazing down at his clipboard.

"Ah Hengaku, your turn. Can you please go to the front and explain your quirk to everyone."