PROLOGUE

If a boy asks you for your name, don't give
it to him. He will say it back to you in a voi-
ce like gravel and honey, and you will crave
his hands all rough and sweet. But you're n-
ot the girl who builds her house from sticks;
You are a fortress, stubborn and strong. Do
not give away the keys to the kingdom to an-
yone less than a king.
(©Lang Leav)

Track 1; Good Mourning by Halsey

◣▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁ ⌘ ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁◢

Falling stars are a rare sight. Some say that they're actually meteors or planes, sometimes even satellites depending on who you asked. You always believed they were stars, though. It was a positivity you found in the darkest times. You never thought that stars embodied themselves in living things. Not until you met one, at least. He wasn't just any star, though.

He was the sun. The living embodiment of it, even. He burned so hot many feared to get near him. You didn't see it at first, too busy playing in the shadows. So when he finally forced his way into your life, it blinded you. You placed every shield up that you had, and one by one he shattered them with a single blast. It was inevitable though, seeing as though the two of you were the complete opposite.

You fought him off until the light of your night sky vanished.

After living a life in nothing but darkness, you found little stars here and there. They were good enough at first, and they made you happy as a child. But they began to dim, and it forced you to outgrow them. As more time passed you stopped looking for stars. You embraced the darkness. It was comfortable, satisfying. It made you feel safe and secure, wrapping you in a fuzzy warm blanket that made you sleepy. You relished in it and claimed it as your own. Some people hated you for it, even fearing you. Making friends as a child felt like a vertical mountainside you had to climb to reach the top. At the bottom is a dark forest and you didn't want to be there any longer.

Despite being lost in a black corner of a large planet, you did have the moon. You always trusted her. She was there whether the sun was up or not; if clouds blocked your view she called to you, always reminding you that she was watching. Some were wary of her, seeing that she had immense power in her pocket. The tides of her many oceans would bend and break for her however she pleased, a skill she used to her advantage. Unfortunately, she drowned you waves disguised with good intent, poison dancing in their bubbles.

You never wanted to hurt him, nor anyone else.

So why did he come back?

Why did he fight for you?

What was so special about you worth risking his life for?

Your actions have consequences. There's a price to pay for every choice you make. Life is full of possibilities to make mistakes and learn from them, or do the right thing by luck on the first try. At the end, you never truly know until you try.

Is that why he's still here after all this time?

Or is it because you're too stubborn to let him go?

◤▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔ ⌘ ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔◥

words; 566