THREE

i wanted to punch him and
understand him at the same time.
(©Shannon A Thompson)

Ambiance; Shōrai by mun.,
& Disruptive LoFi

◣▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁ ⌘ ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁◢

Midoriya was removed from the battle arena on a stretcher, left unconscious after the last few seconds of the fight unfolded. You and Uraraka made your way down to the main floor of the building together. You supported her through her nausea, stopping with her to rub her back soothingly whenever she needed. She did her best to stay quiet during the process after you informed her that you had a headache. You told her not to concern herself about your symptoms, but that didn't change her mind at all.

You didn't realize just how much damage Bakugo and Midoriya did to the building together until you got to the bottom of the stairs. The maze that used to be dark and foreboding, a habitat you relished in. Now, you could see bright daylight pouring in from both outer walls. Dust was still settling from the air when you found Bakugo.

He's shaking. The Bluetooth is still in his ear, but it's been disconnected since you removed yours. There's something stirring inside your chest. You cannot identify what it is, or if it's you creating the feeling or if you're picking it up from the explosive blond. He's staring at his right hand, gloved palm trembling until he clenches it into a fist. From here, you can hear him start to hyperventilate. Was he having a breakdown? The gravity in the room shifts; his shadow flickers and sways. It's not as confident as it was before. It seemed...distraught.

You avert your gaze when All Might steps in. You don't overhear what he says to your classmate. Instead you focus on helping Uraraka back outside. Only a few more moments pass before they exit the building as well, and All Might leads the way to the observation room. Said room looked more like a control center than an observatory. Your classmates stare at you, Bakugo, and Uraraka like deer in headlights. You do your best to ignore them. They're still watching him.

"Well..." All Might hums to himself. His characteristic grin never changes even when he speaks. "Despite the results, the MVP of this exercise is Young Hokama."

Violet eyes jump from your black boots and you turn to All Might. Your heart skips a beat, and your fingers begin to feel tingly. "Huh?" Did you hear him right? He didn't say your last name, did he? He must've mixed you and Uraraka up...

"Shouldn't it be one of the heroes instead since they're the winners?" Asui asked. She stole the words right out of your mouth.

"Mm, valid question." All Might places his hands on his hips before using one to point to the ceiling. "Why didn't I choose one of those two? Who has a guess?"

Yaoyorozu's hand flies into the air. "Sir, I can tell you why. Hokama embraced this challenge. She was the only one who truly adapted to her assigned role."

All Might doesn't say anything. He honestly looks confused by her answer. Your eyes fixate on her. From what you can tell, she is just as analytical as you are, if not more. Maybe you should try to be her friend, too. She did sit right behind you, anyway.

"I'll explain." She begins going into detail, even though no one asked. "Bakugos judgment was clouded by a personal grudge against Midoriya. As you pointed out earlier, launching a large-scale attack indoors was a foolish move. It could've been disastrous. Similarly, Midoriya's plan was also poorly thought out considering the amount of damage he received. He rendered himself helpless, not smart."

Uraraka finally looks like she's returned to her normal self. Her cheeks are flushed pink with embarrassment, chestnut irises focuses on her boots with her hands tucked in front of her waist.