ONE

I think I am a better ghost
than I am a human being.
(©Unknown)

Ambiance; Sendrai Strawberry Latte
by Mister Decaf & Disruptive LoFi

◣▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁ ⌘ ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁◢

You always got along better with the moon than the sun. You felt at home in the night, thriving in the pale lunar eye cradled by a waterline built of clouds. It was more than likely the reason why your bedroom was always dark. You used blackout curtains to block the morning light from bouncing off the walls and waking you. Despite the darkness inside, you kept it relatively clean. The only one that came in your room was your sister, anyway. Your parents didn't care to step inside.

The door handle turns, and a small stream of light pierces the darkness, forcing the shadows into the corners. A head of dark blue hair pokes inside.

"Nere."

There's no answer.

"Nere." The speaker steps into the room, leaving the door cracked behind her. "It's time to get up, you're going to be late." Her voice is soft, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

"Get out of my room, Mizuki." You mumble under your breath, attempting to pull the blankets up over your head.

"Ah, ah, ah!" She clicks her tongue, ripping the blanket from your grasp and ignoring your mutilated groan. "We haven't gone to school together in three years, get your ass out of bed before I drag you by your hair."

You still don't move. You hate the mornings. You wished that the break never ended. You never wanted to go to university, anyway. Unfortunately, you couldn't become a hero without it. You feel her hands dig into the fabric of your pillowcase. You tighten your grip on it so she can't pull it out from under your head.

Suddenly, you hear water and this makes you sit upright.

"Don't. You. Dare."

Mizuki dismisses it and lets her hand fall back to her side. The other props up on her hip. "Hurry up and get dressed. I just finished breakfast, and I don't want to be late." Your mom would've made breakfast, but her and your dad were out on a business trip.

"Fine. I'll be down in a second." You sigh and rub your eyes with the palm of your hands. She leaves your room with a satisfied smile, heading back down the stairs towards the kitchen.

You wait until she's vanished down the hallway before clambering out of bed and heading to the closet. Inside, hanging front and center is your new school uniform. You found it irritating that you had to wear it seeing that you weren't in high school anymore, but shrugged it off. This was the most prestigious hero school in all of Japan. It wasn't easy to get into by any means, and you had your parents expectations to live up to.

It wasn't easy living in Mizuki's shadow, even if you were the most comfortable there.

Despite the crispness of the outfit, it's surprisingly comfortable. You flatten the tie against your chest and scowl briefly at the skirt. None of this was your style. You tried to see if you could get some trousers instead, but your parents weren't willing to negotiate with the school anymore as they already had to get you in it. You were pretty sure you only made it into class 1-A because of your last name. If it wasn't for that, you wouldn't have made it anywhere, unfortunately.

You finish your morning routine and meander down the stairs to the kitchen. Mizuki is sitting at the table waiting for you. She hadn't started eating yet. You sit down across from her, not willing to disrupt the assigned seating your parents had created when on the first night you arrived. She doesn't say anything about how long it took you to get ready, even if it was twenty minutes. You're surprised that your food isn't cold by the time you dig in after thanking her, but don't think about it for much longer than a split second. Mizuki always makes good food.