Chapter 8 - The Other Side of Horikita Suzune

Kiyotaka POV

Yesterday was indeed an interesting event. The revelation of the S System came as a major shock to my classmates. For many of them, the idea of receiving 100,000 points a month with no drawbacks had never been questioned before. Even after Chabashira's words had settled in, disbelief still lingered among many of our classmates. And truthfully, can you blame them? Their entire perception of the school was shattered in one fell swoop, and on top of that, they were labeled as "defects" on the same day.

As I made my way to class, I couldn't help but notice a significant change in the atmosphere among the first-year students. The majority of my fellow first years seemed visibly anxious and shaken after learning about the S System. The dormitories, usually filled with lively chatter and activity, now was strangely silent. Instead of the usual buzz of conversations, there were only hushed whispers and hurried footsteps echoing through the halls. It was evident that the entire dynamics of the school had shifted for the newer students.

Leaving the dormitories behind, I continued my walk towards the building that housed all our classes. The morning sun was just beginning to rise, casting a beautiful crescent shape on the horizon. Although it was early, the campus was surprisingly devoid of any students heading towards the classrooms. From my perspective I saw no students fromm any year entering or exiting the building. Checking my phone, I confirmed that there was still around half an hour before classes began. This suited me just fine, as I often preferred spending some time alone in the classroom before classes began to go into session. I found the classroom environment less dull than my dorm room and appreciated the tranquility it offered in the early hours of the day.

Ascending the staircase towards Class D, I pondered on my next course of action. There didn't seem to be any compelling reason for me to interfere in the current events unfolding around me. None of it directly concerned me, and the abundance of points made the situation seem inconsequential. I knew that my scores made me appear as if I was just an average student with a score of 65, slightly above the average but hardly noteworthy. Only a few individuals, like Koenji, Ai, and that Sakura girl, seemed to recognize me as a person at all.

But that was precisely how I liked it – to remain unnoticed and blend into the background. It was the key to my peaceful and content life. By avoiding any unnecessary attention and merely doing the bare minimum, I was confident that the next three years would be some of the most enjoyable moments of my life. My plan was to maintain this unremarkable position, and in doing so, shield myself from any potential disturbances that might arise.

As I slid the door open, expecting the classroom to be empty as usual, I was met with an intriguing sight. Kushida was sitting on her desk with her head down, seemingly awaiting the arrival of someone. However, I doubted that person would be me; more likely, it would be Hirata or someone else of significant social standing in our class. It would be a logical assumption to make that she intended to formulate a plan with someone who held influence and prominence among our peers.

As the door creaked open, Kushida's head perked up, and her eyes widened when she spotted me. Abruptly, she jumped out of her chair, a hint of urgency in her movements. Myabe she might have been planning to leave the room to seek out the unspecified person she had been waiting for. Maybe this had nothing to do with me or my arrival at all.

Kushida: "Ayanokoji-kun." Of course. Because I don't get to have anything be easy.

Kiyotaka: "Hmm? Oh good morning Kushida-san."

Kushida: "Good morning Ayanokoji-kun! How are you doing today?"

Kiyotaka: "Good. How about you?"

Kushida: "I'm doing great, though I could do with some more points hee hee."