The Rabbit Hole

I don't have many dreams that night. Admittedly, it's hard for me to sleep next to somebody, but I don't mind the loose drifting in place of a good night's sleep. Just being close and holding somebody I care about for so long gives my tired mind the rest it needs. For those hours, my brain can't claim that they don't care about me. If they didn't, how could they trust me enough to fall asleep right next to me? It's just nice to have a break from my own thoughts sometimes. Even dreams can be tiring with their manifestations of my desires and regrets.

Eventually, Val adjusts in her sleep, and I shift to caress her from the side. The comfort the new position offers, combined with the warmth of her body against the chill of the abandoned house offers me bliss. Eventually, relaxation finally overtakes me into sleep. I must have been really comfortable because when I wake next and check my phone for the time, I see it's nearly 11 am.

"Shoot!" I sharply mutter as I scramble out of bed, accidentally stirring Val.

She groans and stretches as I pull my hoodie back on and re-lace my boots, "What's wrong? What time is it?"

"Eleven," I tell her. "We way overslept. Do you not have your phone?"

Val sits up in bed, "No, I left it at my house. Do you not have an alarm set?"

"Not for mornings when my dad comes home." I usually try to sleep through his arrival routine. Time it so I get up right as he goes to bed.

"Oh, yeah, your dad's back this morning." Val rubs her forehead, "Is that why you're freaking out?"

"I'm not freaking out; I just have to get home. He's probably wondering where I am."

"Just tell him you came over to hang out at my place and fell asleep."

I snicker, "Yeah, I don't know if that'll go over too well."

"Why not? It's not like we're... doing anything."

"That's not what he's gonna think." I lean forward on the bed, finally getting the last of my stuff on, and quickly hug Val, "I'll meet up with you as soon as I can. You gonna be okay?"

She nods with a smile and wipes her eyes of sleep, "I think I'll manage. I'll probably grab my phone at some point then head back here."

As her sentence finishes, I'm already backing through the doorway, "Alright, sounds good, bye."

I hear Val giggle from the room as I head out, "Jeez, calm down, Wes, it's not a big deal."

I sprint across the road, avoiding the sight line of the front window as I make my way up to the house. I steady my breath as I reach the front door and brace to open it.

'Just be calm. He may not even be upset.'

I open the door, and to my relief, I see nobody in the living room. Judging from the lack of light and noise, I'd venture that the kitchen is also empty. Hoping that he's already gone to bed, I shut the door as quietly as possible and then creep up to my room. My heart thuds steadily as I clear the top step and tip-toe for my room down the hall, almost to safety.

"Good morning." I hear from the doorway far behind me. I turn before my dad continues, "I guess it's closer to noon, though."

"Sorry, I was-"

"Where were you?"

"Sorry, I was at the med bay last night helping with Lyle. I-I lost track of time and fell asleep over there."

"And you couldn't have sent a text?"

"Sorry, I forgot you were going to be home."

"So that means you don't keep me updated just cause I'm not around?"