[17] Apples

"Help! A thief! Someone stole my apples!" A lady cried out. The royal guards that were accompanying the princess leapt at any opportunity to get away from her earful and rush to the scene.

With the dispersed crowd it should've been easy to spot the thief, but there was no trace. A distraction? Astaroth whips his hair back to check on Freya who grew even more upset at the attention getting drawn away from her.

Clarissa showed up behind her, attacking the Princess' vagus nerve, catching her limp body and running away without drawing any attention. Astaroth quickly follows.

Even with a knocked out lady in her arms she still moved quickly, and made it back to the inn while guards scrambled around in terror that they lost sight of their princess. They didn't fear for what state the princess might be in, but rather that the king would put their heads on the chopping block.

The guards considered abandoning their duties and running far beyond the Golden kingdom.

"How'd you pull that off so quick?" Astaroth asks as the two enter the inn.

"Took apples from a lady because they've gotten expensive and tossed them away as I ran, she probably got them back by now." Clarissa throws the body onto the ground like a ball. Unlike a ball, the princess doesn't bounce.

"You're going to break her bones."

Unresponsive, she takes out cloth from her bag and ties Freya's wrists together, then ankles.

"Josie, do you have a sack?"

"Only got rice sacks here right now." The rat comes out of the shadows. "Though I'm curious, why is it that you need to kidnap the princess?"

"I'm sure you've heard." Astaroth replies.

"Yes of course I have. But you could just let her be and continue your peaceful lives."

"She killed my cat." Clarissa's fist met the dust beyond the floorboard, giving Josie a small shock. "I'd take her head a hundred times over my peace."

"I'd usually charge for that damage but it seems I've struck a nerve. My apologies." She tosses the rice sack. "Now you two get out of here already, I've got a business to run."

Clarissa shoves the princess into the sack and they go get the horse at the stables. The four-legged creature seems to have gotten a pampering and a feast while they were away.

"You don't want to cover her mouth as well?" Astaroth asks while giving his friend some affection.

"I'll just knock her out again if she wakes up."

"Great. Is there anything you need before we head back?"

"I'd rather get back immediately so less time holding the soon to be corpse of the person I hate most."

He chuckles. Clarissa wonders if it's genuine, but feels her spirit do a cartwheel; remembering Josie's implications from the other day.

It's not like romance is forbidden, it just feels like I shouldn't.

Once they get going, it's a steady trip back to Orias' mansion. It should be a while till the King takes action because of how terribly irresponsible, scared, and disloyal the guards are. But they can't keep the princess hidden there forever.

"We will be back by the next sunrise." Astaroth faces up at the sky. It appears to be late in the afternoon where the sun was starting to rest its heavy glare.

Clarissa feels the body in her arms start to twitch, and eventually begin to squirm. Before the caterpillar-like movement turns into a screaming woman she hits the princess' vagus nerve again and watches her deflate like a cock.

"Free therapy." She stares at the rice sack.

"So Clarissa, what do you intend to do after we get answers?"

"Kill her again. Whatever answer she has doesn't matter to me."

"I'll help you find a way to kill her for good then."

"I wouldn't mind killing her every day of my life. But thanks for the offer."

"Scary." He mumbles. She literally would chase her enemy through hell for eternity. "Let me know if you need to stop for a break. You can use my shoulder to nap too."

"Touching this thing is enough physical contact for me."

"Such a shame. Maybe next time." A sigh escapes his mouth, he turns his head to take a glance at his companion.

"What?"

"You aren't happy with your circumstances yet you seem to be in a better mood than usual."

"You're overthinking. I am the same."

"Am I?" His lips curl into a smile, the same one that selfishly appeared towards Vixen. "Do you like apples?"

"I like to eat anything that isn't contaminated, from a toilet, or cooked by Katherine."

"But do you like apples?"

"Yes."

He stops the horse and gets down, running over to an apple tree close by and climbing up. He picks the ripest looking one and tosses it to Clarissa.

"Thanks."

He takes one more for his horse. "I haven't named my pall yet."

"Why not?"

"Couldn't think of one. I think I'll name him Clarisso, after you."

"That is awful."

Astaroth climbs down the tree and holds the apple by the horse's mouth. "Here you go bud, an apple and a monumental moment where we celebrate naming you. Clarisso junior."

"That's even worst."