10- The basics

Jesper scoffed when Elliott asked him if he wanted to go into town with us.

I didn't really understand him. I was aware that not everyone would welcome me with open arms, and I knew that me coming to live here was as much of a change for me than for the original residents of the house. I didn't ask him to fuss over me and try to become best friends with me. I could accept some quiet avoidance, like Elliott's, or some distaste, like Dane's. But Jesper outright rejected me. After his dramatic exit when we first met, we hadn't exchanged a word. He threw me hostile looks whenever we happened to cross paths, and fled from any occasion where we would be less than five metres apart. He didn't like me being here and didn't make a secret out of it.

His rejection hurt me, not only because he shunned me out without even getting to know me, but also because he was my blood. Out of every brother I had met, he was the least mistakenly my family. He was the carbon copy of one of the human beings I was closest to on this earth, my older sister, and he didn't deem me worthy of his attention.

But I was glad he rejected the outing, I told myself, because contrary to Jesper, Dane wasn't offered a choice. He threw a fit about it, saying he didn't care about some mall, and that I could go alone for all he cared, that he had better plans than to babysit. Elliott shut him up with a few words in a low tone. That's how I ended up in the backseat of a low fiery-red car, with a grumbling Dane in the passenger seat, and Elliott behind the wheel, one hand lazily resting on the gear lever despite the tremendous speed he was driving at. I told myself I was thankful Jesper didn't come, because then he would be stuck besides me in the tiny space. That would've made the already electric atmosphere outright explosive.

They didn't talk much to me during the fifteen-minute drive, and I remained silent. I was a bit intimidated. Those were two of my oldest older brothers, both in their twenties I had gathered. I was just a sixteen-year-old stranger girl that thwarted their afternoon plans by wanting to leave the house. I think that if I'd known going out required the presence of the brothers, I would've taken Charles up on his picnic offer

I think Elliott was a bit mad at Dane, which explained why Dane's grumbling didn't exceed a tone too low for me to understand what he was complaining about. I would guess something about being forced to babysit some lost teen during an afternoon to the mall.

The house was in a rather isolated area, with little to no neighbours around, but with Elliott's driving we were quickly in the outskirts of town. He parked the car in an underground parking lot, in a space right next to the escalators that allowed access to the huge shopping centre. He was lucky, because the entire floor was packed with cars, and many drivers had to turn around to try and find a space further away.

We were underground, in a space only lightened by artificial lights, but as soon as we stepped outside of the car, Dane slipped on a pair of expensive-looking black sunglasses. I found it ridiculous, though they perfectly completed his cultivated bad-boy style and his tan complexion. I felt a bit out of place next to him and our other brother. Elliott was casually dressed with discreet class, in an outfit that looked well put together without seeming like he was trying hard. I was wearing oversized sweatpants rolled up at the ends and the waist because of how big they were, a hoodie that almost reached mid-thigh and my old Converse, that had gone through a full life before the orphanage, a funeral, and a fire. Safe to say I looked the part of the stray they had taken in out of pity. I would feel pity myself.

"What are we even here for?" asked Dane as Elliott directed us to the moving stairs.

I shrugged, though the question wasn't directed at me.

"Charles said to use the occasion to buy her electronics and whatever she needs." Elliott answered in an uninterested tone. He was scrolling through something on his phone. I wasn't in the most enthusiastic company, but I tried to not let that put a damper on my mood as I greedily drowned in the new surroundings.