Chapter 17

As the day worn on and Millie sat, arms crossed, in one of the hard, uncomfortable chairs along the office wall

As the day worn on and Millie sat, arms crossed, in one of the hard, uncomfortable chairs along the office wall. Sister Marion had deposited her there for the Mother to deal with after the assembly, but Millie had been waiting for hours now. She shifted position for the thousandth time, hoping to regain some feeling in her legs. It felt as though she might die of boredom.

The secretary kept looking up at her and smiling. Millie did not smile back. Even the secretary's usual cheerful demeanour was now tinged with doubt.

Had everyone turned on her now?

Finally, the Mother Superior swept in, pausing at the threshold.

"Regina, could you please prepare some tea for our guests?" she asked.

The secretary bobbed her head and went skittering off down the private hall.

The Mother watched her go before she turned to look down at Millie.

"You," she said, her tone dripping with disappointment. "I'll deal with you in a moment. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have more important matters to attend to—this way, gentlemen."

Two men followed as she continued further into the office. The first was thin and bald and carried a leather doctor's bag. The second looked to be about her father's age, wearing a deep navy uniform with his rounded Bobby helmet tucked under his arm. Both glanced at her with vague curiosity before they all disappeared down the hall.

Millie inched to the edge of her seat. That had to be the doctor and a constable from the village—the exact sort of people she wanted to tell her suspicions. That was if they would even believe her. It was her word against the school. And she was sure the Mother was about to spin them another perfectly believable tale about tragic timing and unfortunate circumstances.

If Millie had proof, her story would be stronger.

But she didn't.

She debated her chances if she were to burst in there and tell them what she knew. She wondered how many words she'd be able to get out before the Mother stopped her and summoned someone to pull her away. Millie glanced back to the secretary's empty desk. She was still off busying herself with their tea order.

If she were to go now, she would have a moment, maybe even two...

She got up from her chair and snuck across the office, stopping at the edge of the hall. Down near the far end, Millie could hear the clinking of dishes as the secretary prepared the tea. The door closest to Millie, the same office that she had taken cover in the night before, was open just a crack again. She could hear just snippets of the conversation inside.

"Miss Brodie was—knew that she—difficult situation—"

Millie crept closer, trying to hear more.

She could hear the Mother speaking, but her voice was muffled.