Chapter 22

Despite the chill of night, Millie was sweating under the covers

Despite the chill of night, Millie was sweating under the covers. It didn't help that she had blankets pulled up to her neck to hide the fact that she was bundled in half the clothes she'd brought to Wickford.

Just as Matthew asked, she had piled on jumpers and tights and socks to guard against the cold on their upcoming journey. Everything else was prepared as well. Her rucksack was packed, the photos safe inside. Her most comfortable shoes were tucked under the edge of her bed. It all sat within quick reach, ready for Millie to grab as soon as Matthew showed up to collect her.

Now all she had to do was wait.

She lay in bed, eyes wide open, her gaze circling the dark, empty room. Matthew had never mentioned what time he'd be coming for her. It was already several hours past midnight, and she had assumed he would've been here by now. And yet...

"Where is he?" Millie whispered to herself. She rolled over, trying to settle.

Footsteps echoed in the hall outside her room.

Millie perked up. Was that him now?

The footsteps got closer and closer, then stopped, right in front of her door. The knob rattled and groaned as it was twisted, and the door creaked open. A beam of light flashed across the room.

Millie lay back and closed her eyes, pretending to be asleep.

The light settled on her face, lingering there as though someone was waiting for her eyes to pop open and admit her act. Millie kept still; she knew better. Her eyes were shut, but not squeezed tight, and she was careful not to wince or flinch though the light burned red behind her eyelids.

After a few long moments, the light pulled back and flickered off. The door was pulled shut, and the footsteps retreated back down the hall.

Millie held her breath for a moment more before she opened her eyes again.

She was alone again, the intruder was gone.

It had been yet another check.

There had been a lot of checks this night.

Did they always check on us this often? Millie wondered. Perhaps she had never noticed, as she had usually been asleep, but something in her gut told her that this wasn't their usual schedule. This was something more.

They were keeping a close eye on her tonight.

Did they know that something was afoot?

Millie hoped not. If the nuns were hovering outside her room, then it would be impossible for Matthew to get through. And if Matthew wasn't able to get through, then...

Would he have to leave without her?

Millie rose up on her elbows and punched at her pillow, forcing it into a new shape before flopping back on it. She wished she could get some rest, even just a little before she headed off with Matthew. It was bound to be a long journey, and she'd need all the energy she could get. But as the minutes ticked on, rest seemed less and less likely. She was too on edge.