Deceived

Fog crept across the lands, slowly devouring everything in its path. Though the early morning sun had risen, it was blocked out by the low, light grey clouds that hung just above the ground. The silhouette of trees lingered like ghosts in the distance, the promise of violence hanging nearly as thick as the fog.

Rissa stood with her group of men, watching the edge of the forest for a bright flash of light, signaling the readiness of others. She waited, squatting just on the other side of the dense foliage at the edge of the woods. In this light, with the fog creeping in, the city of Broadshire almost looked sleepy and abandoned. Of course, once everyone had woken, the city was always alive and bustling with tradesmen and other citizens. The docks would boom with the sounds of fishermen pulling in their first catch of the day, the market would come alive with the smell of baked goods and the stink of hundreds of sweating bodies. It was all just a matter of time and patience.

Frandril shifted in his place beside Rissa, causing her to throw him a sinister look. "Some scout you'll make," She said harshly. "You move so much that the wind would mistake you for a free-falling leaf!" A hint of washed up his neck and into his cheeks. Again with this man. Rissa did feel sorry for the poor guy but she had no choice but to be harsh. She had not quite established how she planned to lead the Ulfheðnar so, she felt compelled to stick to her father's harsh ways until she did. It was not only her conscience that made her feel guilty but it seemed to be more and more against her nature to be a mean woman. If she had learned anything from her father and watching those in power around her, it was that you had to be set in your ways with whatever it was you said. If anyone detected even the slightest give in your stance, they would pounce and soon, you'd find yourself dead.

Rissa watched as the first of the street torches was lit, slowly followed by the next. In a seemingly choreographed dance, each torch was lit and each stall became filled with its owner and patrons. In what seemed like a small matter of only minutes, the center of the city came alive. Children zipped out of their homes, running up and down the thoroughfare with reckless abandon. One fisherman leading his horse through had to jerk to a halt to avoid trampling one little tyke. The man's face was filled with annoyance until he traded a few words with the child. He patted the young child's head and sent him on to continue whatever adventure he was lost in.

Her men fidgeted and rustled around her. They were growing impatient but Rissa still held them. The day needed time to start, to convince the city that it would be just another day of living. That is when the sadness struck her. It was possible that the playing child who believed himself safe from near death, could still be facing death. Her men, despite her orders to harm no man, woman, or child that did not stand in their way, had a nasty habit of forgetting. This always angered her and she trusted now that they all knew their fate if they needlessly harmed a woman or child. Their death would not be as swift as the first man that went against her rules. This time, she would make them suffer as she was sure the innocent people at their hands had suffered.

The fog settled over the fields between Rissa and the city, laying still and thick enough to conceal their movement. With one slight wave of her hand, she motioned their intent. Rissa's fingers closed around the hilt of her sword, drawing it carefully from its sheath, and began inching forward. They moved as one, a horrendous dark mass of bodies aimed at violence and revenge.

Beads of water clung to her braids and trickled down her cheeks as they pressed forward. Her eyes scouted the edge of the city, looking for the guards that were scattered about. A couple sat leaning against the wall, eyes closed, snoozing in the soft light. She headed towards that section, passing the sleeping men as they slid past them, through the wall, and into the streets. At first, no one was around but, as they progressed, citizens caught sight of them and let out horrified screams.