A Familiar Stranger

The day had suddenly turned to night. He held no prior memory of what had happened before he was transported to this unknown place. All he knew now was that he was standing behind two figures, sitting on the floor as the two of them stared into the beautiful night sky.

One was a young boy with auburn hair. But despite his familiar appearance, it wasn't what Bell's attention was focused on. It was the man sitting next to the boy.

The man looked tired and frail. His cheeks were sunken in and his black hair looked as if it had lost some of its color. 

"I...wanted to be a hero of justice."

The tired old man's voice caused both the boy and Bell to blink in surprise. His voice sounded tired and defeated.

"You wanted to become one? Does that mean you failed?" the young boy asked.

"Yes...being a hero isn't a simple thing. The older you get, the harder it is to call yourself one. I should have realized that sooner."

All Bell could feel was resentment and sadness seep out of the man's voice. The desire to become a hero...it was something that he held within himself. But what in the world could have caused the man before him to abandon that dream entirely?

"I see. That's a shame." the young boy replied.

"Indeed. You're absolutely right." 

The man took in a long breath before sighing out and staring at the moon above him. It was only then that Bell realized just how magnificent and beautiful the moon in the night sky looked.

"The moon's...really nice tonight."

"...Yeah. Since you couldn't do it, I'll do it for you."

Both Bell and the old man turned to the boy in surprise. 

"You're an adult now, so you can't do it. So leave it to me. Your dream."

Bell couldn't tell what the man was feeling on the inside. Was he happy that his son had decided to take up his dream? Or was he grieving the fact that such a young boy could one day end up like himself?

Bell got his answer when the man sighed out with a small smile.

"...Right. I can be at peace now."

And with that, the man breathed his last breath and passed away.

***

"...elll? Bell? Bell?"

"Urrgh...huh?" Bell groaned, slowly cracking his eyes open only to be met by the sunlight that was bleeding through the wooden floorboards above him. And just above him was Hestia, looking at him with a mixture of worry and relief in her eyes.

"Bell! You're awake!" Hestia tearfully cried out.

"G-Godess-blaaargh?!" 

Hestia suddenly launched herself at her fist child with her head ramming into Bell's stomach. The two were toppled back on the bed and Bell felt Hestia squeeze her arms around his waist.

"I-I'm sorry for worrying you." Bell apologized.

Before Hestia could say anything, she was suddenly yanked back by Artoria.

"Hestia! You shouldn't treat Bell so roughly!" Artoria scolded. "Bell, thank goodness you're finally awake! Are you feeling better?"

"Artoria, what happened to you?" Bell quietly whispered. His head was still a bit fuzzy, but he didn't remember Artoria's skin looking that pale and the bags under her eyes made him worry. She looked like she hadn't slept in several days.