Chapter 4

Lyra yawned and stretched as she and Salzen lounged on top of a roof that sat just off of the main street of the village. King Asahi had arrived with his men and they currently were riding their horses through the town as people cheered and crowded the streets. Their gold and white armor shone brightly as their horses stomped and weaved pass. King Asahi rode in front, the white armor with turquoise jewels embedded into it matched the blue in his eyes and his shining blonde hair flowing behind him.

     He sure looks the part of a king.

     Lyra covered her eyes and leaned away when the sun light would glare off their armor and shine in her eyes. "I hate light colored armor like that, so gawdy and such a pain to clean. Does he always travel around like that?"

     Salzen nodded, not bothering to watch the spectacle and just stare at the passing clouds instead. "Yes. At least he didn't bring some of his wives with him. I agree with you about the armor, but I do see an advantage that he uses for the colors that he choose. The light that reflects off is used to blind his enemies during battle; if he ever fought that is."

     "He doesn't fight with his men?" Lyra snorted when Salzen nodded to confirm. "What kind of king doesn't go into battle alongside his men?"

     "The same one who rather spend his days covering in jewels and women. Sound like someone you know?" Salzen said as he gave Lyra a pointed look.

     She hmmed and continued to watch as Asahi paraded around and even accepted a flower from one of the female villagers, giving her a wink and smile that had the young woman swooning. "Why are we up here again? Shouldn't we be down there with Taron and Ken to greet him? You have a contract with him so if anyone should be down there  it should be you."

     He sighed deeply. "It is too early to deal with his high-class attitude."

     "It's mid-day, Salzen."

      "Exactly. I do not mingle with other nobles until it is time for dinner."

      Lyra laughed. "Alright, I can understand that. Why did you bring me up here then? Taron was asking me to help greet him when you barged in, grabbed me, and dragged all the way here."

     Salzen was silent for a moment. "I do not want him to meet you. Asahi is like other kings and has a habit of collecting things rare and beautiful, he would want to possess you as soon as he saw you. Even more when he would get to see your skills."

     "I think that's the first time that you've ever complimented me, Salzen." Lyra laughed when he gave her another pointed look. "I know that my reputation is in question here, but I have no intention of being collected again."

     "I am sure you did not the first time, but look how that turned out. Asahi is relentless and has used other means before to force someone to his side. I do not want to see you or him get hurt in the process when he comes into contact with you. Kore put me in charge while he is away from you and I intend to make sure that I fulfill his wishes to the best of my ability."

     "Kore needs to learn that I'm not a child and also not his responsibility. Now, I'm heading down to be there for Taron, are you coming?" Salzen leaned back and closed his eyes. "Alright then." Lyra hopped down from the roof, landing on the cobblestone streets. "If it will make you feel better, I'll stay in the shadows and watch as they arrive."

     She didn't wait for a response that wouldn't come, knowing that Salzen tended to shut down for a while he got in moods like this.

     Lyra took a back path that led toward the side of the palace and hopped the same wall that she went over last night. She leaned against the training hall where she could not be easily see and watched as King Asahi and his men trotted their horses into the courtyard. His men dismounted and waited for their king to dismount as well, as soon as his feet touched the ground Lord Taron and his men all bowed low before Asahi in deep respect.