Chapter 5

"What made you think it was a good idea to come all the way here and try to find me, do you have any idea how dangerous and foolish this plan of yours is?" Lyra crouched in front of Hiroki, who crossed his arms over his chest as he was, once again, being scolded.

     "You sound like my father."

     "Good. Perhaps your father has some sense then, because this is incredibly dangerous what you're doing and not to mention really stupid." She need to get this kid out of here and quick. She had out run Salzen, but it wouldn't take him long to catch up.

     "I wanted to see you."

     Lyra ruffled his black locks. "I'm honored for that, but I don't want to see you get hurt here. A lot is going to be going down and there's some dangerous people here that are not going to handle you being around very well."

     "You won't hurt me and besides, my father wanted me to stay with you until the festival was over." Hiroki smiled at her.

     "You're not wrong about that, but it's not me that I'm worried about and what do you mean when you said that he wants you to stay with me?"

      He shrugged. "When Yuki brought me back to the camp, father was really angry with me and started scolding me. I tried to talk to him like you said but I think he was too angry at me for him to hear me. He got really excited when I mentioned you though."

      Lyra frowned. "How so?"

"I told him how you came and sat with me and talked to me for a bit and how you protected me from whatever was in the woods. He kept asking me what you looked like and what you said. Maybe you should talk to him for me, he seemed to listen better when you said that he and I should talk more. Oh! He also told me to come up here with uncle Katsu and 'stay by her side no matter what.' He said that he will come and get me after the festival is over and that he knew you would keep me safe no matter what...why are you looking at me like that?" Hiroki could only describe the look on Lyra's face as pure confusion and could almost see her mind working hard as she replayed his words over and over.

     "I'm very confused."

     "I think I can see that. What did I say that is confusing, I can go back over what he said again?"

     "Pretty much everything you said is very confusing to me-no, don't repeat it, that's not what I mean." She stopped him, when he tried to open his mouth. "I mean that I don't think I have ever met your father and I find it really weird that he seems to have that much faith that I'm not going to let any harm happen to you."

     "Yeah, I thought it was weird too. Some of the things he was asking me were really weird and I think he does know you. He's tall with long black hair and red eyes like me, does he sound like someone that you might remember?"

     "....you just described over half of the Vampires that I have ever met..." Hiroki's jaw dropped. "Now you look confused."

     "How did you know that my father is a vampire?"

     "Kid, it's pretty obvious to anyone who has even the smallest knowledge of immortals and of the supernatural that you are a vampire and that there's a very good chance your father is too. Now, did your father say anything else that-Salzen no!"

     Lyra lunged over Hiroki's head and pinned a snarling Salzen down. "Don't even think about it!" She twisted around so she could hold him tightly. His eyes were wild and his mouth opened to reveal  multiple fanged teeth, aiming for the young vampire.

     Hiroki ran over to a small tree and hid behind it as he watched the two wrestle across the ground. Lyra finally managed to wrap her arms and legs around Salzen that completely immobilized him.