8 | His Angry Figure

High school

High school. Purgatory no longer, it was now purely hell. Torment and fire...yes, I had both.

I was doing everything correctly now. Every "i" dotted, every "t" crossed. No one could complain that I was shirking my responsibilities.

To please Seokjin and protect the others, I stayed in Forks. I returned to my old schedule. I hunted no more than the rest of them. Everyday, I attended high school and played human. Everyday, I listened carefully for anything new about the Cullens-there never was anything new. The boy did not speak one word of his suspicions. He just repeated the same story again and again-I'd been standing with him and then pulled him out of the way-till his eager listeners got bored and stopped looking for more details.

There was no danger. My hasty action had hurt no one. No one but myself.

I was determined to change the future. Not the easiest task to set for oneself, but there was no other choice that I could live with. Jimin said that I would not be strong enough to stay away from the boy. I would prove him wrong.

I'd thought the first day would be the hardest. By the end of it, I'd been sure that was the case. I'd been wrong, though.

It had rankled, knowing that I would hurt the boy. I'd comforted myself with the fact that his pain would be nothing more than a pinprick-just a tiny sting of rejection-compared to mine. Kook was human, and he knew that I was something else, something wrong, something frightening. He would probably be more relieved than wounded when I turned my face away from him and pretended that he didn't exist.

"Hello, Taehyung," he'd greeted me, that first day back in biology. His voice had been pleasant, friendly, one hundred and eighty degrees from the last time I'd spoken with him.

Why? What did the change mean? Had he forgotten? Decided he had imagined the whole episode? Could he possibly have forgiven me for not following through on my promise?

The questions had burned like the thirst that attacked me every time I breathed. Just one moment to look in his eyes. Just to see if I could read the answers there...