18 | Couldn't Come Fast Enough

CNN broke the story first

I was glad it hit the news before I had to leave for school, anxious to hear how the humans would phrase the account, and what amount of attention it would garner.

Luckily, it was a heavy news day. There was an earthquake in South America and a political kidnapping in the Middle East. So it ended up only earning a few seconds, a few sentences, and one grainy picture.

"Alonzo 'Lonnie' Calderas Wallace, suspected serial rapist and murderer wanted in the states of Texas and Oklahoma, was apprehended last night in Portland, Oregon thanks to an anonymous tip. Wallace was found unconscious in an alley early this morning, just a few yards from a police station. Officials are unable to tell us at this time whether he will be extradited to Houston or Oklahoma City to stand trial."

The picture was unclear, a mug shot, and he'd had a thick beard at the time of the photograph. Even if Jungkook saw it, he would probably not recognize him. I hoped he wouldn't; it would make him afraid needlessly.

"The coverage here in town will be light. It's too far away to be considered of local interest," Jimin told me. "It was a good call to have Joon take him out of state."

I nodded. Jungkook didn't watch much TV regardless, and I don't think Chief Jeon would think anything of it if he saw it. Maybe give ole Lonnie a 'good riddance.'

I'd done what I could. This monster was no longer hunting, and I was not a murderer. Not recently, anyway.

I'd been right to trust Namjoon, as much as I still wished the monster had not gotten off quite so easily. I caught myself hoping he would be extradited to Texas, where the death penalty was so popular...

No. That didn't matter. I would put this behind me, and concentrate on what was most important.

I'd left Jungkook's room less than an hour ago. I was already aching to see him again. "Jimin, do you mind-"

He cut me off. "Rosé will drive. She'll act pissed, but you know she'll enjoy the excuse to show off her car." Jimin trilled a laugh.

I grinned at him. "See you at school."

Jimin sighed, and my grin became a grimace.

I know, I know, he thought. Not yet. I'll wait until you're ready for Jungkook to know me. You should know, though, this isn't just me being selfish. Jungkook's going to like me, too.

I didn't answer him as I hurried out the door. That was a different way of viewing the situation. Would Jungkook want to know Jimin? To have a vampire for a friend? Well, according to Jimin's visions, he just might. Knowing Jungkook...that idea probably wouldn't bother him in the slightest.

I frowned to myself. What Jungkook wanted and what was best for him were two very separate things.

I started to feel uneasy as I parked my car in Jungkook's driveway. The human adage said that things looked different in the morning-that things changed when you slept on them. Would I look different to Jungkook in the weak light of a foggy day? More sinister or less sinister than I had in the blackness of night? Had the truth sunk in while he slept?