33 | her goodbye

"I want to go home

"I want to go home." I blinked, not fully processing what Beta Finn had told me.

Had I heard right? Henry, my little brother, Henry, was sick? I had to get home. I had to see my little brother. Even though he was a major pain in my ass most of the time, he was still family. Dad would most certainly be an absolute wreck. He had barely managed to pick himself up from Mom's death; there was no way he'd be able to handle Henry's on top of it all.

"I'll drive you," Wade interrupted, his arms folded over his chest.

I shook my head. "No, I—Beta Finn, could you drive me?"

Even though I was not on good terms with Beta Finn, I could not stand to be in the same car as Wade for even longer. He was processing his own grief—the grief of not being able to bring his mate back to life. I didn't need to be constantly worrying about Wade when all that mattered right now was Henry.

"Violet," Wade's voice cracked. "I can—"

"I can drive you," Beta Finn responded, eyeing both me and Wade.

Clearing his throat, Wade asked, "Violet, is this really what you wa—"

"Yes," I answered before he could finish his sentence.

Wade nodded his head, handing Beta Finn the keys to the car. Wade's voice filled with emotion, "If that's what you want."

Wade went to the trunk of the car and retrieved his things, his bag, snacks, and compass. Beta Finn walked over to the driver's side of the car. My body shook as I tried to place myself back in the passenger seat.

While I was channeling enough strength to continue on with the day, Wade was at my side. He put one hand on the car door and said, "Violet, I know today wasn't—"

"I need time," I gulped, looking at the car door. "I need to get back to my brother, to my family."

"If you need anything," Wade paused.

In his brief pause, I responded, "I won't."

He sucked in a deep breath and resaid, "If you need anything, you'll let me know?"

"I need time," I repeated.

I could hear his teeth grind together. "Violet—"

"Goodbye, Wade," I breathed, reaching for the car door. My fingers grazed his, and my body shivered. The effect of his touch had not been lost on me, but I shrugged it off and opened the door.

As I climbed into the car, Wade said, "Goodbye, Violet."

He took a few steps back as he still watched over the car. I didn't know if our goodbye would be forever, but it was at least goodbye for now. When Beta Finn started the car and pulled away from the Training Grounds, I watched Wade fade into the distance, uncertain when—and if—I would see him again.