07 | her mate

"GO," Spencer murmured, bending his knees so we were shoulder to shoulder

"GO," Spencer murmured, bending his knees so we were shoulder to shoulder. He nudged me with the palm of his hands, but I stayed in place, like a statue, unwavering.

"What?"

Even though the restraint I had only two days ago had vanished from my mind, I knew the search for my mate was irrational. At least, it would be irrational at this time of night. Curfew was here, and I didn't know my way around the Training Grounds—both of which were a perfect combination for me to become a savory meal for any nearby Reapers.

On top of that, my absence would be noticed. We had all arrived at the Training Grounds minutes before. While many of my fellow Bluestrike members would not notice me sneaking off, I was sure whoever was in charge of the likely roll call would be.

I leaned closer to Spencer and vocalized my thoughts. "How? Won't they notice I'm gone?"

"I'll cover for you," Spencer offered. "I can say you left something on the train, and it must have fallen underneath a cushion or something."

I nodded my head but remained still. Spencer glanced at me with confusion.

"Why are—"

"Curfew."

Spencer's head tilted. "Do Reapers even exist out here?"

"I don't know." I scowled, running my hands over my arms. "But I wouldn't like to be the person to find out."

He slumped his shoulders. "Okay, you can always search for your mate tomorrow."

"What if my mate is gone?" I mused, growing anxious. There was no doubt. I did want to search for my mate. I had bore the repercussions of not following my instincts just days prior. But the timing was not right—the circumstances were stacked against me. "I'd have to look tonight before my mate's scent is washed away by the rain."

"Then go," Spencer pushed me forward, and I bumped into someone's sweaty back. They let out a disgruntled groan, and I muttered a quick "sorry" while making sure to send an icy glare in Spencer's direction. "You're wasting valuable time."

He was right.

Each second I stayed rooted on the platform was another opportunity for me to talk myself out of searching for my mate. For the time being, I just had to be responsible for myself. I didn't have to worry if my being out late would prevent my family from waiting to start dinner or being able to sleep soundly.

If there was any time to be a little selfish, it was right now.

I exhaled a shaky breath, raking my hand through my tangled hair. Soothing it down, I hunched my shoulders and mentally prepared myself in case my search came up empty-handed.

There was a real possibility my risk search would not be fruitful. All this worry and anxiety would have been for nothing.

But I couldn't let my doubts continue to cloud my mind.