08 | his second mate

"WHO sent you?" was the next thing out of my mate's mouth

Despite the hostile tone, I couldn't help but give my mate a once over. He had a large frame with muscled arms. His olive skin was marked with a tattoo on one of his biceps. A scar nestled underneath his hazel eyes, right above his sole dimple. Even when he was not amused, a faint smile etched on his lips.

Shaking my head, I tried to get a grip on the situation. "What do you mean who sent me?"

"Who the fuck sent you?"

I took a step back, my face contorted in a scowl. "I don't understand."

"My mate is dead," his voice was resolute. "So, who the fuck sent you?"

Still caught off guard, I remained silent. I nibbled on my lip as I tried to understand what was going on when my eyes dilated.

"You're..." my voice trailed. "You're Alpha Wade?"

He grunted. "Don't play dumb. I've had enough of this."

Without another word, Alpha Wade grabbed me by the wrist and hauled me in the opposite direction of the dormitory.

"Where are you taking me?" He did not answer. "Hey! Let go of me," I struggled against his hold. He looked unfazed, eyes narrowed as he continued marching forward.

I bit my lip again, trying hard not to get distracted by the skin-to-skin contact with my mate. Tiny streams of electricity radiated from his touch, and there was a slight flutter in my stomach. While Wade appeared to be unfazed, my body screamed in delight from the contact.

"Just because you're an Alpha doesn't mean—"

"Silence." He stopped in his tracks. I stumbled over my feet while he spoke, "You're giving me a damn headache."

Without waiting to see my response, he pulled me forward, continuing to tug at my wrist as if it were a leash. My face fell flat, and I kept my lips sealed, but not because he wanted me to.

But because I was disappointed.

My optimism and resolve faltered, the blood draining from my face. I closed my eyes and said a quick curse to the Moon Goddess. I had not been in her favor when she paired me with Alpha Wade, a man whose heart was already spoken for.

Alpha Wade.

He was far more attractive than I had anticipated. He had an air of effortless beauty. Even in the waning light of the moon, his flexed jaw and narrowed eyes called for me to reach out in an effort to fully capture their lure.

At the same time, he was more of a disappointment than I ever could have conjured. Alpha Wade had been so elusive over the years that he had become more myth than reality. Rumors sparked of him gallivanting around the world in search of answers surrounding Lupoxia that plagued Bluestrike in droves.