Chapter 3 - Attie

Junior year is supposed to be the worst part of high school, according to some of the members of the animation club that I'm a part of. Ask me next June how it actually is because I'm still indecisive.

So far, the school has won all of this season's game (according to Jason since I never went to a single one), my honors math teacher gave us a quiz on Tuesday (that I somehow passed), and I'm still waiting for another masterpiece from Taylor Swift after listening to my favorite, 1989 (Taylor's Version, of course), on repeat for the past month. Another album cannot come soon enough but you can never tire of iconic songs.

"Hey, At-Bat, are you ready?" my best friend, Amy Pierce says as she's tapping on my shoulder. School had ended for the day but we're still in the computer lab even after hours because I have some work to touch up on.

"Almost," I answer as I'm stuck on Canva, a very popular graphic design website, working on the new logo for the animation club. After being nominated as the vice president, I took it upon myself to add a little bit of flair for the poster for the Club Rush happening on Friday. "Just need to add this one little detail."

She peers over my shoulder, her curly hair barely touching my shoulder. I'm never bothered with people looking over my shoulder. Can't be bothered with something when you do it yourself. "You sure about going black and white?"

I nod. "It's classy."

"It's a high school club." She sighs. "You can go as messy as you'd like."

"Well, I like this theme." I add one last little detail, save it to my account, and power the computer off. Standing up, I grab my bag and phone. "Okay, now I'm ready."

"Let's go." Amy grabs her bags (yes, I said bags) and walks out of the computer lab with me following behind. I usually get a ride from Amy after school to her house if I don't have the Jeep, like today.

I've missed hanging out with my best friend since kindergarten. Now that her boyfriend, Carter, is off at college, I basically get her all to myself. And thank God for that because there's always something about her boyfriend that has rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I'm wrong and I really hope I am because I only wish for my bestie's happiness.

We wave goodbye to Mr. Ali, the teacher who's currently watching over the computer lab, before heading out to the student parking and into the sedan she borrowed from her aunt. Amy turns on the radio and turns the volume up when Harry Styles's As It Was starts up. I love Harry Styles as much as the next person, but this is one of my favorite songs of all time.

But there's no denying that this song is an absolute banger. We sing along to the music playing until we reach her two-story house which isn't that far from school. Once we enter, Amy and I are greeted by her aunt Mary and the smell of chocolate chip cookies. I may not be the biggest fan of chocolate but those cookies are my only exception.

"Mary! I thought you were going to leave as soon as I got back," Amy says.

She places the tray of cookies on the cooling rack before removing her apron and gathering her niece for a hug. Her aunt Mary has been more of a motherly figure to my best friend than almost anyone. Except my mother, of course. I don't know exactly what happened to Amy's mom—it's a sore topic.

Her aunt looks up and pins her green gaze at me. "Hey, Attie! It's been a while since you've been over."

I smile. "Nice to see you too, Mary."

Amy lets go of her aunt before dropping her stuff by the door and taking off her heels. Compared to my five foot six frame, Amy is very petite. The heels give her a slight advantage but they look painful to me. I don't know how she does it. But then again—it's Amy. Poised and stylish everywhere she goes. They probably don't even bother her.