Chapter 28 - Ian

I'm the last guy out of the locker room so when I do leave, it's to find BJ and Sophia waiting outside. Not just standing around in boredom, however. They choose now of all times to make out against the brick wall.

I should be used to this—they've been together for about a year now—but it's still a little uncomfortable walking into your two friends and a very intimate session of PDA.

"Someone saw my eyes off, please," I mutter mostly to myself.

Much to my surprise, the way-too-happy couple in front of me pulls apart to find me standing a good ten feet away. They're in a position that I know all too well and considering that my best friend has walked in on me before, I can't decide whether to make fun of them (I choose to wait until later to do so) or keep silent and just walk to my car.

But curiosity gets the best of me, and I ask, "BJ, what are you guys still doing here?"

He clears his throat. "Can you give us a ride?"

"Is your car in the shop again?"

Sophia nods and I try my best to hold back an eye roll. We all know the stereotype about boys being knowledgeable with cars, right? That doesn't apply to Braiden James. In fact, I think Sophia might hold more knowledge about car maintenance than her boyfriend—and she doesn't have a license.

"Come on." I motion for them to follow me. Not that they need to, since their designated parking spot is right next to my own. "Who are we dropping off first?"

"BJ," Sophia answers. Why do I even ask when I already know the answer?

Once we all get settled in the car, I drive off in the route opposite from my house. During all that, chatter erupts.

"What was up with your girl, anyway?" BJ asks from the backseat.

I glance at the rearview mirror. "What are you talking about?"

"The dunk tank, how she broke Hardwick's nose." He doesn't look up from his phone once. "Everyone on the group chat's talking about it. Didn't you see?"

I raise a brow, though he can't see my face.

Realization dawns on him. "Right, you're not on the group chat."

I could have been. It's not monitored by Coach Wells at all—we have a separate chat for that—but I don't use my phone as often as most. Sure, I answer calls and texts when needed but I don't exactly enjoy the hassle of responding to multiple people at once.

I am curious, though. Chase has pissed off a fair amount of people in the past. Attie didn't strike me as someone who would even know him, never mind hate the guy's guts.

"Sophia, you've been awfully quiet," I point out. "Nothing to add? No playful insults?"

"Did you say something?" She must have zoned out.

"Cas, are you okay?" BJ asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"And by fine you mean..."

"Fine," she bites out. "I'm all for Attie breaking that asshat's nose. Someone had to do it."

"He's not that bad," I say.

Her jaw drops. "Bad? Ian, he drugged a girl at a party last year. No one that bad—wait is that Attie?"

"What?" I turn my head to the right and, to my surprise, Attie is storming off in the same direction that I'm driving. She still has her backpack with her and wears my hoodie.

It's getting dark as hell—why is she walking?

I don't know what comes over me but in the next second, I'm placing the car into park and hopping out to catch up to her.