Chapter 39 - Ian

The homecoming game is always the easiest game of the season. A secret that not many people outside of high school football will reveal is that almost all homecoming games are played against teams that can easily be defeated.

That's why I'm allowed to sit at the bench after the third quarter of the game while my backup QB, Marlow Jackson, goes up and takes his spot. We're up by thirty points because we're playing Barin High yet again and they do suck but at least they're trying.

I head over to the cooler, grab a paper cup, and fill it with water. The day of the homecoming game always feels like the longest for me. Fridays just feel long during football season in general.

Like Father Time just enjoys torturing me.

When the fourth quarter begins, BJ sits back down next to me, wearing the homecoming king sash. They announced the winners during half-time and though I was nominated, I didn't win. I'm not pressed about it because I still cannot fathom how I even got nominated in the first place but I'm happy for him and Soph.

I am. Even if I seem the opposite. There's just a lot going on in my mind right now.

I glance behind me at the bleachers. Jason texted me before the game to tell me that his sister was standing in the student section with him and the others but as I scan the crowd, I struggle with my attempt at spotting the familiar pair of overalls or long dark hair. I still hold onto a sliver of hope. Maybe she went to grab snacks or something.

"Did you see her yet?" BJ asks.

I shake my head.

He winces. "Sorry, dude. Maybe she's seated farther back."

I shrug. "Maybe." Earlier today, I had filled BJ and Sophia in on what I planned to do. Technically, I only told BJ but my friend tells his girlfriend everything, so Sophia knew by default.

Right now, my only hope is that she got the sketchbook. The first part of the plan was to slip it inside her locker when she wasn't around, then apologize and practically beg for another chance. If I didn't fuck up the way I had, tomorrow would've been the last day of our fake relationship.

Come to think of it, I don't know why we had started one in the first place.

The game is over and though it was an easy win for the team, I still feel a little tense. Not even a shower does anything for me. All my thoughts are consumed by Attie. She's not even nearby right now and even still, I can't stop worrying.

Did she read the letter?

Where is she?

Side note: that last thought is the most prominent one.

Once I high-five the back-up QB as I exit the locker room, I head straight for the bleachers to find her. During halftime, I spotted her in the student section—where those decked in school spirit cheer to their heart's content.

No sign of her. Amy's standing there, with Jason, Derek, and Jason's girlfriend (try as I might, I still can't remember her name). I march over to them and practically demand, "where is she?"

They all stop whatever conversation and turn to me. Amy's eyes are wide, Jason tightens his hold on his girlfriend, and Derek stands still without flinching. "You need to calm down, man."

Side note: staying calm is the least of my worries right now.

"I don't know," Amy says. "I told her to come back because she needed to grab something from my car but that was during halftime."

"Halftime was an hour ago!"

"I realize that!" She snaps and I take a small step back from. It's always the short people that are the scariest. She probably means well but in all honesty, I'm a little terrified of Amy.