Chapter 4

"Why do I have to be here?" Alex questions Alaric with a groan, the pair sat in his classroom late at night as they look through the gilbert journal. "I've been avoiding Stefan and his little gang like the plague cause they all know that Damon fed off me and now you're forcing me to watch you read this journal."

"You're healed." He mentions, looking at her neck which no longer has a mark.

"He gave me his blood." Alex lies with a shrug. "Said he needed my help with his brother and he figured out that I knew, saw the vervain." She moves next to the man and begins to read over his shoulder.

"You have your own copy." He says with a groan, turning to look at the girl.

"It's at home." She reasons, moving away from him and back to the desk in front of him. "You can't possibly be mad at me, I made contact, I'm finding things out and then I'll let you do the rest." Their conversation is cut short by the sound of rushing wind.

"Hello?" Ric questions, as he gets up and heads back into the hallway.

"You're paranoid, Ric." Alex mutters, staying put and keeping an eye on the journal. If people were after it, they would have to go through her. Ric ventures further into the hallway and Alex makes her way back over to the desk, she hears someone approaching. Very fast. She turns and grabs their wrist before they can take the book off the desk. The girl fights back but miraculously, Alex is stronger. She forces her against the wall and looks at the girls face for the first time. "Who the hell are you?" Alex asks, looking at the girl in intrigue. He grip goes from the girls arm to her neck, holding her up against the wall. "One move and I'll snap your neck, who are you?" He voice is even, a tone which shows that she's not afraid of the vampire.

"Anna." She mubles out, the pain on her neck becoming too much. What Alex doesn't realise is someone coming behind her. She has an accomplice. The next thing Alex knew was her world turing black as a pain appeared on the back of her head. The girl and her friend disappear with the journal, in good timing as Alaric came back to the classroom with a stakegun and shot it at Stefan Salvatore.

"You shouldn't have done that." Stefan says angrily as he camp speeds around him and blocks his route. He grabs alaric by his shirt and pushes him into the desk, taking the gun away from him. That is when he picks up the smell of blood. "Who else is here?" He asks, moving to the other side of Alarics desk to find Alex unconscious. Stefan picks her up and lays her on Alarics desk, causing him to worry as he approaches the girl. "Sit." Stefan commands, forcing him away from the girl. Stefan pulls out the gun Alaric had and begins to inspect it. "What is this? Compressed air?" He scoffs, but Ric refuses to respond. "Did you make it yourself? Who are you?" Stefan moces closer to Alaric and he flinches slightly. "I'm not going to hurt you, unless you try that again." As a sign of good faith, Stefan hands the gun back to Ric. "Now who are you? Who is she?"

"I'm a teacher and shes my niece." Alaric simply responds.

"Are we gonna have to do this the hard way?" Stefan threatens.

"I'm a historian. An while researching virginia, I made a few discoveries about your town." Alaric reveals, keeping Alex out of it for now.

"So what? You drag your niece to Mystic Falls and show up like van helsing. Come on. Tell me the truth." Stefan scoffs.

" My wife was a parapsychologist. She spent her life researching paranormal activity in this area. It was her work that me led me here." Alaric explains with a sigh.

"Where is your wife?" Stefan questions.

"Dead. Vampire killed her." Alaric says.

"Where's the gilbert journal?" Stefan demands, increasing his tone slightly, not noticing the young girl waking up.

"Some girl took it." Alex sits up on the desk that she had been placed on. She rubs her head slightly at the pain in her head. "Said her name was Anna. Someone else was here, she had a partner. He knocked me out."

"How did you know that? Did you talk to her? Did she say what she wanted with it?" Stefan wonders, walking over to the girl, the history teacher now forgotten about.

"Yeah, we had a nice conversation about the weather." Alex scoffs, jumping off the desk. "She was like you, I know that."

"How much do you know?" Stefan wonders. "you were attacked by Damon the other night, did you know then?"

"I've known since before I moved down here. Damon figured out I was wearing vervain, attacked me and then you know what happened next." Alex explains. "Why do you want the journal?"

"Its personal." Stefan simplt responds.

"So is Ric and I's business but you still got answers." Alex counters and Stefan glares at the girl.

"We just want to keep it from Damon." Stefan answers.

"Well that's gonna happen considering we don't know where it is." Alaric says, stepping towards Alex in a protective manner.

"How long have you been aware of me?" asks towards alaric who answers honestly

"I learned just recently. What about your brother?" Alaric wonders.

"You've met Damon too." Stefan says with a sigh, almost as if it s a common occurance with him to be disappointed by that fact.

"Who do you think killed my wife." Alaric counters.

"Are you certain it was Damon?"

"I witnessed it." Alaric reveals, moving back to his desk.

"If you're here for revenge, its going to end very badly for you." Stefan threatens and Alex scoffs.

"he just wants to find out what happened to his wife." She reasons.

"He just said Damon.." He trails off.

"yeah, I saw him draining the life out of her. He must have heard me coming. He just disappeared. So did her body. They never found her." Alaric says.

"Damon can never know why you're here. Either of you." He says looking towards Alex as well. "He'll kill you without even blinking."

"We can take care of ourselves." Alex states, no sugar coating her words.

"No you can't. I can. If you let me help you." Stefan corrects, only angering Alex with his response.

"Why do you need the journal. Start being honest with us." Alex demands.

"It has the location of an ancient spell, he knew the location of it. Damon wants it to open the tomb which is filled with vampires, we want to stop him." Stefan simply responds.

"Then you should know I made a copy." Alaric tells Stefan, grabbing it from his drawer. He throws it down on the desk in front of him, a piece offering to Stefan. He can borrow the copy if he leaves them alone.

But things don't always turn out the way they are intended.

After Stefan left, Alex made a deal, with damon. She tells him the truth and in return he leaves her and Alaric alone, something he agreed to rather quickly. She searched the journal and noticed something about a Salvatore taking the spell to his grave. She text him the location of the book but it was too late, Stefan and Elena were already there.

A/N: Vote and Comment!