Chapter 20

It had been two months since they left Mystic Falls. Two. Horrendously long. Months. Alex thought she would go insane at the arguing between the two vampires. They hated each other, which was incredibly obvious, but Alex was confused about why Klaus hadn't killed either of them yet. Alex would refuse to admit it, but he was growing on her. Yes, he was a homicidal maniac, but he was good to rant to. She told him all about her times at Beacon Hills, leaving out that there was another true alpha, and he sat and listened. It was nice to let it out, even if it was to gain more knowledge to manipulate her.

But she wasn't close enough to him for him to have his hand on her arse.

They were at a house in Tennessee, playing a "loving couple" whose car broke down.

"I'm so sorry; I didn't mean to scare you," Klaus spoke with an awful American accent. Alex had to resist a cringe as she forced a smile on her face at the young girl.

"Can I help you?" The woman asked, looking at the two dubiously.

"Our car broke down a few miles back, and we wondered if we could use your phone. We've been walking for what seems like miles." Alex responded to the girl with a light tone in her voice.

"Why don't you have a cell phone?" The girl questioned, still hesitant to engage with the two.

"This idiot decided we needed a week away from them to cleanse." Alex scoffed, looking up at Klaus, who subtly glared at her.

"Look, we promise we're not serial killers. We just want to use your phone." Klaus smiled.

"Sure." The woman lamented.

"So, can we come in?" Klaus asked.

"You can't." The woman said, distrustful of the hybrid. Alex stepped into the house with ease.

"I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting." Klaus sighs, his natural accent coming out as he gives us the ruse.

"I'm from Florida." The woman scoffs, and Alex grabs her hand as she tries to step away.

"Well, that explains it." Klaus sighed; he gestured at Alex to tell her to bring the girl to him. She obliged, and he looked the girl in the eyes. "Now show me a little southern hospitality, sweetpea."

"Come in." The girl muttered under her breath, now shaking in fear as the two wolves made their way into the kitchen, another woman ranting about a dog.

"What's going on?" She asked the hybrid.

"Please don't be alarmed." He told the two. "I was told Ray Sutton lives here?"

The woman immediately shook her head. "He's rarely here. He's on the road mostly."

"But I expect he makes it home at least once a month." They both had a guilty expression. "That's what I thought. Where is he now?" They both don't answer. "If I have to make you tell me, it will be infinitely more painful for you. Hmm?"

The woman doesn't waste a second before sprinting for the back door.

"I love it when they run!" Klaus exclaimed, and the girl stopped in shock as Stefan appeared before her. She shrieks in fear, and the other woman looks at Klaus.

"He's in toll; it's near the border. A bar called Southern Comfort. It's on Highway 41." She revealed.

"Thank you, my love," Klaus smirked as he touched her hair. "Now, may my friend come in?"

"Yes." She cried, and Stefan stepped through the door and headed towards Klaus.

"Kill this one quickly and make sure that one suffers. We'll be in the car." Klaus told the vampire, and Alex's eyes widened.