Chapter II. Serendipity

Hobi looks as surprised as you feel about your own question. And no wonder. Who in their right mind even adopts a fully grown adult Hybrid?

You don't know how, but you know that Hobi is about to say no, when Taehyung's voice once again cuts through the room.

"Really?"

You both turn to the Hybrid.

A radiant, hopeful smile is stretched across his face.

"You want to adopt me?"

The full force of that thousand-watt smile is focused on you, and you try not to squint.

"Am I dreaming?" Taehyung sighs, "Am I finally getting adopted?"

'Oh no, he's too adorable!'

You wrench your gaze away from Taehyung's beautiful face to see Hobi's reaction.

To your surprise, his expression is as sad as Taehyung's is ecstatic. You frown, puzzled.

Hobi seems unaware of your eyes on him, as his mouth twists into a grimace, before quickly settling into a straight line.

He nods decisively.

"Fine," Hobi says, more to himself, you think, than to anyone else.

He turns to Taehyung.

"Can you wait in the Screening Room? I need to brief your potential adopter about our process."

Taehyung nods eagerly.

"Of course," he pipes, amber eyes flashing, "I'll be preparing myself for the interview!"

'Interview?'

As soon as Taehyung shuts the door behind him, Hobi turns to you.

"Follow me, please."

He leads you into a small office. Inside is a desk, with two chairs on either side. He sits in one chair, and asks you to take a seat in the other.

"I'm sorry, I didn't even get your name."

"It's [Y/N]."

He smiles at you.

"Well, [Y/N], our adoption process is actually very simple. We designed it to be as hassle-free as possible for our clients because, of course," he lifts his shoulders in a half shrug, "we want our Hybrids to get adopted."

You nod your understanding.

Hobi continues.

"First up is the screening interview between the potential adopter and the Hybrid they are interested in adopting."

'Interview!'

You remember hearing Taehyung say the word, and now Hobi has confirmed that there is, indeed, an interview...

You don't like interviews.

"I-I'm not... I wasn't able to prepare---" you blurt nervously.

"Don't worry, it's nothing like a job interview. I suppose it's more accurate to think of it as a compatibility test, to see if you get along and like each other well enough. Here at Homes for Hybrid, we take these things very seriously. It is important for us that both the Hybrid and potential adopter like one another. It increases the probability of having a successful, harmonious match."

"Oh, I see. Th-that makes sense."

Contrary to what Hobi thinks, what he told you might just be worse than a job interview! You feel anxiety pooling in your stomach, then rising up your chest sharp and acid-like.

'What if Taehyung doesn't like me?'

But you carefully school your face into a neutral expression as Hobi continues.

"If the screening goes well, you will be taking home Taehyung's Hybrid file, which contains all the information you need to know in order to make the best decision about whether to push through with the adoption or not."

'I don't need to read that file to know that I want to adopt him!'

"You will be given one week to respond to us with your decision."

'A week? I can give you my decision right now! It's a yes from me. I'm adopting him!'

"If you do decide to go through with the adoption, we will ask you to provide certain documents. I will give you the full list of requirements along with Taehyung's file later," a short pause, "if we get to that stage."

'I might just die if we don't!'

"Once you've given us all the requirements, we'll process the adoption, and then you can take your Hybrid home!"

"How long will that take?" you ask anxiously.

"The Home for Hybrids system is top of the line! We're very efficient here," Hobi declares with obvious pride, "As long as there are no issues with the requirements that you provide us with, you can take your Hybrid home the very same day!"

Adrenaline starts pumping through your system, making your heart pound hard and fast. Your goal is to get everything done within the weekend...

But Hobi isn't done yet.

"You and your Hybrid will then have a 6-month trial period of living together. At the end of those 6 months, a representative from the orphanage, most likely myself, will be paying you a visit to make an assessment. And then we can all decide together on whether to make the adoption permanent. Do you have any questions at this stage?"

The barrage of information is making you feel slightly overwhelmed, but you take a deep, slow breath and look Hobi straight in the eye.

"No, I think everything is very clear so far," you answer with a surprisingly steady voice.

"Alright then!" Hobi claps his hands together and rises from his seat. "Shall we go see Taehyung?"

You stand up and almost pump your fist in the air, but manage to contain yourself.

"Yes, I'm ready!"

As you follow Hobi down the hallway, you go through the unbelievable sequence of events that led you to this moment.

You thought that going to this orphanage was the adventure the Universe had in store for you, but you were wrong.

This right here is just the beginning of the adventure of a lifetime.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A/N: I know this episode was pretty Hobi-heavy, but you'll be getting a lot of Taehyung soon! And you'll be meeting the rest of the members somewhere down the line, too.
To everyone who is here from BTS Universe Story, thank you so so so so much for your continued support! To those of you who are new to my writing, welcome! I hope you enjoy these stories too.^u^

<Next Chapter: For Us>