Chapter XVII. Slow Dancing

Namjoon leaves you his card, saying he'll contact you again once he finds new leads. While you add his number to your phonebook, V quickly throws together a couple of sandwiches, which will serve as your dinner.

You and V eat together wordlessly, both ruminating. While V seems completely lost in his thoughts, you keep sneaking glances at him, wondering what it is that's running through his head, how he's feeling about everything that Namjoon had just revealed.

Suddenly, V sighs and places his half-eaten sandwich down on the plate.

"Okay, out with it," he says, crossing his arms.

"Uhm..." you blink a couple of times, feeling a bit lost, "out with what?"

"You're obviously dying to ask something," V rolls his eyes, "so ask."

'Am I really so obvious all the time, or is V just able to read me so well?'

"I'm just wondering how you're taking all this," you say, "It's... quite a lot."

V shrugs, picking his sandwich back up.

"Nothing that agent said really surprised me. There are a lot of terrible people out there," he waves his sandwich in the general direction of, presumably, other people, "capable of incredible cruelty and violence." He takes a bite.

"Oh," is all you manage to say in response.

Your face must look absolutely crestfallen, since V adds, "Not to say there aren't good people too, like you and Taehyung's friends."

"No, it's okay, I understand," you say, waving your hand, "You're right. All of that... It shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's unforgiveable!"

"And yet it did," V says matter-of-factly, "And now, we're left to deal with the consequences."

"But it's not right!" you cry, unable to control the well of your emotions, "It's not fair!"

V smirks, but it's bitter rather than cocky.

"What? Do you still think the world is fair?"

You flush with anger, ready to strike back.

"I---"

But words escape you, once again.

"I'm sorry," V says, not sounding sorry at all, "but this is our reality. We just make the most out of the cards we've been dealt. We just need to do our best for Taehyung."

"And for you."

This visibly takes V by surprise, and you feel some satisfaction at being the one to take him off guard for a change.

"You're always talking about how you need to protect Taehyung," you say earnestly, "but V, what about you? Who's going to protect you?"

V scowls.

"I can protect myself!"

You sigh, deciding not to dignify his stubborn insistence with any response. You stand up and start clearing up the dishes, and V wordlessly helps you. After loading them into the dishwasher, you turn to go, but V grabs your wrist. You turn back and watch as V seems to struggle within himself to come to a decision.

Then, he finally asks, "Can I stay with you tonight?"

"V, what are you talking about? You literally live here," you tell him, wondering why you need to state the obvious, if he's experiencing a temporary bout of amnesia... or insanity. "You don't need to ask for my permission to---"

V's pointed stare makes you realize that you are the one missing the point here.

"O-oh, you mean..." you trail off, not feeling brave enough to voice the thought. V simply nods.