Chapter XII. Fly to My Room

< A/N: To my readers who are not female-identifying, please just change "maternal instincts" and "good girl" to whatever you feel fits you most. >

By the time you get back home, your mind is still racing. You tell Taehyung you have a headache, and quickly retreat to your room.

As you pass by him, you catch a glimpse of his face, and you know you're not fooling him with your excuse, but you still choose the coward's way out.

You lay in bed and stare intently at the ceiling, as if you could find answers there. If you were honest with yourself, what bothers you the most isn't even what you saw in the picture... but the fact that Taehyung doesn't seem to know why it needs to be kept secret.

//Start Flashback//

As you return the polaroid to Taehyung, you notice that your hands are shaking slightly.

"Are you okay?" Taehyung asks, concern furrowing his brows, "Your face is so pale all of a sudden."

"Hey, it's okay," Jungkook tries to comfort you, "I understand how you feel."

"Why... is everyone acting like this is such a big deal?" Taehyung mutters, almost to himself, "Even Hobi-hyung..."

You and Jungkook exchange startled looks.

"Hyung..." Jungkook exhales.

"I probably knew why, once..." Taehyung says, "But that part's gone too, along with all my other memories." He shakes his head. "And Hobi-hyung won't even tell me."

\\End Flashback\\

You wonder if the reason Hobi isn't telling Taehyung is the exact same reason he hasn't told him about V: to protect him. But you also wonder if that really is the right thing to do.

You shake your head, as if the motion will physically shake the thought out.

'Hobi knows best, right? I shouldn't interfere in such things.'

Like Hobi said, all you need to do is focus on providing a loving home for Taehyung, and Hobi will take care of the rest. Besides, it's not like you don't already have enough on your plate, with Seokjin arriving tomorrow and meeting Taehyung ---in fact, learning about his existence ---for the first time.

You yawn.

'I should sleep now. Tomorrow's going to be a long day, I need my battery at full charge.'

You shut your eyes tight, but thoughts continue to chase on another in your head, and it feels like forever before your tired mind finally succumbs to slumber.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You wake up still feeling tired. You check your phone and, true enough, Seokjin has messaged you.

 You check your phone and, true enough, Seokjin has messaged you