The Legacy of the Talisman

"I couldn't believe my eyes as I walked through the abandoned German bunker. The Putrid smell of decay burned my nose. My boots stepped over and through the bodies of German soldiers, all seemingly taken out on their own. Some receive bone shattering blows with half of their bodies carved through like a pumpkin on halloween. Strange symbols were etched on the walls, and the air felt heavy—something terrible had happened here, Something unnatural.

I decided to turn back and report this. As I did, I heard what I can describe sounds of something Animalistic Devouring the remains of flesh and bone. My hands were shaking as I aimed my lantern toward the corner of the room, revealing a shadowy figure with Reflective glowing red eyes. Before I could react, something hit my lantern, sending it flying out of my hands.

I was pinned to the ground by a presence I couldn't see. It laughed—a strangely feminine, playful laugh—and I smelled the metallic scent of copper. I could feel the thing take deep breaths from its nose as if it was smelling my very soul. Just when I thought it was over for me, a flash of artillery fire from outside momentarily lit up the room. I could see a humanoid face of a female with a sickening smile. It's attention turned to the sounds of Artillery rounds exploding on the ground.

Taking my chance, I reached for the talisman my grandmother had given me. It started glowing, and the creature recoiled with a guttural growl, disappearing into the darkness.

I grabbed my fallen lantern and ran as fast as I could, eager to leave this cursed place behind. I had to report what I'd seen, but I knew I'd be haunted forever by the demonic presence lurking in that forgotten bunker.

Panting, I burst out of the bunker and into the snowy woods, my heart pounding in my chest. I couldn't shake the feeling that the creature was following me. Each rustle in the trees, each shadow that moved, heightened my sense of dread.

Suddenly, the sound of engines roared through the quiet forest. A German convoy appeared from the darkness, and before I could dive for cover, they opened fire. Bullets zipped past me, and I took refuge behind a large tree. Wood splinters showered around me as they continued to shoot.

But then, the gunfire shifted direction, focusing on something behind me. A blood-curdling screech echoed through the forest, and I realized they were now firing at the creature from the bunker. It had followed me.

Seizing the opportunity, I leaned out from behind the tree and returned fire at the Germans, taking out a few before they knew what hit them. Chaos reigned as both sides were now fighting an enemy they had never expected to encounter.

During the chaos, I took the chance to break free, sprinting away from the convoy and hoping the creature and the Germans would be too preoccupied with each other to follow. My talisman still glowed faintly in my pocket, a reminder of the unexplained, the unimaginable.

Just as I thought I was making my getaway, I felt a searing pain in my right shoulder blade—a stray bullet had found its mark. The force of the impact threw me to the ground, my face landing in the cold, unforgiving snow.

I lay there for a moment, disoriented, gripping my wounded shoulder. The muffled sounds of gunfire and monstrous shrieks continued in the distance. Whether the Germans or the creature was winning, I couldn't tell.

Struggling to my feet, I knew I had to move. My unit was close, and with luck, I could get medical attention. I staggered through the snow, my vision blurry, the glowing talisman in my pocket feeling heavier than ever.

When I finally reached my unit, they rushed me to the medics, but I could see the disbelief in their eyes as I recounted my tale. Maybe they'd think I lost my mind, but that was the least of my concerns. For as long as I lived, the haunting memories of that night would remain, as vivid and as real as the fresh wound in my shoulder.