Chapter Three, Olivia

NIGHT TURNS TO DAY QUICKER than I can comprehend, so when the sunlight begins to stream in through the open window and parted curtains in one of Ellis's guest bedrooms, I sit up, dazed and a little confused. I'm not entirely sure why I'm here, but the details of our conversation last night continue to ring in my ears.

I throw the weighted blanket aside. My legs are bare. I wiggle my toes; a "quirk" of mine as Mitchell called it. My talk with Ellis could've happened over the phone, or better yet, at the bakeshop before close. I shake my head as I get out of bed. One more mistake. I can't get it out of my head now.

Ellis's guest bathroom is well equipped, but the problem of what to wear arises, so I put yesterday's clothes back on and exit the bedroom. The pancakes I made on a whim sit on the counter still, a reminder of how easily things could have gone south. I sigh when I pick up the plate and discard the pancakes, my heart heavy. As a person with a strict no wastage policy, I'm consumed with sadness. Although that could be for other reasons, one of them being how I'd almost cheated on Mitchell with his brother.

I mean, of course I would be stupid to think Ellis only got to know me for innocent reasons. Our very first conversation had left me feeling unusually giddy, and at some point I convinced myself that he was my person. Then Mitchell came along, and things changed.

It should've been simple: Mitchell, my husband, Ellis, my best friend like in teen comedies where the girl ends up with her best friend's brother or her brother's best friend or some other variation., but I'm not a teenager, and this isn't a fairytale.

I glance down at the silver engagement ring on my ring finger. I don't know why I still wear it. It's a representation of the shackle I imagined around my neck on the day of our wedding, an emblem of unkept promises.

Real world decisions are too damn hard.

I leave the ring on the dining table.

Jessica is still home when I get there. She's seated at the dining table, poring over a bowl of chocolate cereal and various shades of nail polish that look exactly the same from where I'm standing. I shut the door quietly, hoping she won't notice me come in.

She does.

"Where have you been? I almost sent out an amber alert."

"I'm not a child," I retort as I undo the straps of my sandals. I'm not sure how she'll react to the answer I'm about to give, but it's always best to share these things. If I kept every little thing a secret from Jess.... I can't imagine that as a possibility. I know a lot of people barely tolerate their siblings, but that's not me and Jessica. She's been my best friend since she was old enough to throw tea parties for our stuffed animals.

"I talked to Ellis."

I make my way to the refrigerator to hydrate. I should be at the shop right now, putting the finishing touches on the day's special, instead I'm home and in yesterday's clothes, and it's all Ellis's fault.

"Not the man you jilted?" Jess asks. I can tell she's judging me by the dramatic arch of her brow. She wants details but at the same time she wants to think the best of me. She drops her spoon of cereal. Some of the milk splashes on the glass table. "Don't tell me you spent the night with Ellis."

I grab a bottle of water from the fridge. "You're so thirsty for a scandal."

"It's not my fault nothing interesting happens at work. Honestly, your wedding was the most drama I'd witnessed since college."

"Well I'm glad to be your sole source of entertainment." I take a huge gulp of water, the cold liquid soothing the inside of my throat.

Jessica waits until she's finished with her bowl of cereal to confront me again. By this time, I'm nestled on our plush turquoise couch, sipping honey tea and wishing my life was different. I had it easy, all I had to do was tap into the path that was set in front of me, but no. I couldn't just stick with the plot.