Chapter Six, Ellis

THE WEIGHT OF MITCHELL'S EXPECTATIONS is wearing me down.

I'm doing my best to keep my distance from Olivia because it's what's best for the three of us, but how am I supposed to help my brother out if I'm staying away from her?

The divorce settlement case Grace presented to me this morning bears a striking similarity to the situation between Olivia and Mitchell, and at this point I have to wonder if this is purgatory for my actions.

The days turn into weeks and I immerse myself further into the ever growing list of cases, my work serving as a constant reminder of the fragility of relationships. My mother often asks me why I'm single at this age, whether or not I'll be willing to settle down. Until I met Olivia, I never really considered living out my days in the company of someone else - cynicism is in my job description - but even though we were mostly just friends, she changed my stance on love and relationships.

That was before she started dating my brother.

My phone buzzes twice, an email notification from a rival attorney and yet another text from my brother. He is relentless in his attempts to reach out, and I've been adamant about sending him to voicemail.

I consider blocking his number for a few days, my thumb hovering dangerously close to the button. I'm interrupted by another notification, this one from LensFlick, a picture-sharing social media platform. It's from Olivia's account, announcing a week-long bake sale next month.

Determined to confront the unresolved issues that have pit us against each other, I decide to make a move.

Olivia's tightening the straps on her heels when I see her. Despite what I said to my brother, I'm here, choosing a home confrontation as a last resort. Mitchell seriously owes me. Olivia scoffs when she sees me, her dark red lips pulled into a nasty frown.

I'm not deterred.

"Good to see that some things don't change." At this, her frown wavers, curiosity coming into the mix of expressions she's wearing. "Your hair, your makeup, your perfume; you look just like you did on the day we met."

She looks away. "That's hardly a compliment. I looked like a wet cat and smelled like fresh dirt."

That's what she thinks, but the woman standing in front of me is no wet cat. Her normally wavy chestnut hair hangs over her shoulders in loose curls, her lips a monument to . When I really try, I catch a whiff of jasmine.

"Exactly."

She rolls her eyes, but I see her lips curve into a small smile. I'm wearing her down. "What are you doing here anyway? Still playing the role of Mitchell King's errand boy?"

"Why are you always so harsh when he comes up?"

Olivia sighs, shrugs, and leans on the doorframe. " I don't know, I love Mitchell and I really do care about him but I guess the topic makes me so mad at myself because nothing makes sense. I need space to think but the two of you refuse to leave me alone."

I take a tentative step forward. "Olivia, it's been weeks." My tone is measured and gentle for fear that anything else would send her running for the hills. "I'm not saying you shouldn't work through your emotions but I think the man you were minutes away from calling your husband deserves at least a glimpse of these emotions. You're adamant when you say it's not his fault, so tell him that and get him to believe you. I can't keep watching the both of you beat yourselves up over nothing."

"I'm still dealing with the confusion. I'm not ready to face the guilt."

"It's alright if you don't have all the answers. You don't have to talk to him if you don't feel up to it, but I'm asking that you at least consider it, and maybe return his ring?"