𝑶𝑵𝑬

© -𝑦𝑛𝑔𝑗𝑤𝑜𝑛 , 2024

CHAPTER ONE:'The Very First Chapter

CHAPTER ONE:
'The Very First Chapter...'

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━

Have you ever been in love? No?
neither has Nabi. In fact, she has spent the majority of her life inside gaming cafes or in her room asleep.

But now, instead of being back in Daegu getting ready for the first day of summer and picking out her bathing suit for her annual midnight dip in the ocean with her friend group. She was trapped inside a humid car, just waiting to arrive in Busan; or as their civilians like to call it 'The Summer Capital Of South Korea.'

This was a complete and total nightmare, her glasses steamed up due to the breathing of the four passengers, her father sang the radio loudly - her eardrums almost bursting from the piercing noise. The mother fingers tapped the steering wheel as she nodded her head to the beat, and her brother... well, he was just being an annoying five year old boy.

"Stop looking out my window!" Juyeon squealed and raised his hands up in the air to block the seventeen year olds view.

"I'm not looking out Your window, I'm looking out A window." She spat and forced his hands down.

"Nabi, don't pick on your brother." Her mother's voice rang causing the young girl to roll her eyes and slump back into her seat.

Juyeon stuck out his tongue and went back to gazing out of the window at the endless roads.

"Whatever." She grumbled and crossed her arms over her chest.

Beaches, upon beaches, upon beaches.. that's all she could see. Many crowds of people raising solar cups in the air or diving into the deep sea.

"We're here." Her father stated and turned to face his two children with a proud smile.

"We're right next to a beach! Cool." Juyeon squealed and pressed his face closer to the window.

A sigh escaped Nabi's lips as they pulled into a small neighbourhood and parked outside one of the houses.

White walls, flat roofs, small fenced off gardens, and a boring black door. It was an average house in an average neighbourhood, yet it might actually be worse than their previous house.

"Nabi.." her mother's soft voice rang, "I know it's a change and I know you miss your friends. But this will be better for us, for me and your dad." She soothingly stated and rubbed her daughter's knee.

Nabi nodded and got out of the car before slamming the door and heading inside.

-

Every street and alleyway she walked down lead to no where but boring old houses or fast food restaurants.

"New to town?" An unfamiliar voice perked up from behind her. The raven haired girl spun around on the heels of her feet to see a young girl behind a lemonade stand.

She had long brown hair which went past her waist and light freckles dotting her face. She wore a white tank top and dark blue denim shorts— a line of sweat coating her forehead.

Nabi's eyebrows creased together as her mouth was left agape, trying to think of what words to say.

"It's just- you've walked up this alley five times now and you still have the same depressing look on your face." She pointed out with a sweet gummy smile. "And I think I would've recognised your face."

Nabi let out a soft giggle and pushed up her black glasses. "Yeah, I just moved in today." She admitted making the other girl chuckle.

"I knew it." She cheered and rested her hands on her hips. "Do you want some freshly squeezed lemonade? It's homemade." The young girl offered and went to pick up the jug carrying the light yellow liquid.

"No thanks; I'm not a fan of  lemonade." Nabi kindly declined and bowed to the other.

"Ok." The brunette shrugged, "suit yourself."

Nabi went to walk away but stopped herself and turned back to the girl. "Do you know anything fun to do in this town?" She sheepishly asked.

"Hmm." The girl thought carefully and rested her finger on her chin. "There's a gaming cafe in the next street over..?"

Nabi's eyes almost burst out of her skull, "yes! Thank you.." she exclaimed and awaited for the girl to finished her sentence.

"Sim Myeongji."

"Thank you, Sim Myeongji." Nabi gasped before running off.

-

The Yang girl practically burst through the glass double doors. "Hello, would you like to order anything?" One of the cafe's employees asked with a genuine smile.

Nabi quickly bowed and looked over at the menu that hung on the wall behind the counter.

She thought for a moment and struggled between the two choices of Pepsi or Coca Cola.

"One Pepsi, please." She smiled before rushing off to one of the black gaming chairs and logging into her account.

The sight of her friends profiles from back home saddened her, she let out a small huff and clicked onto the leader board for her favourite game 'League Of Legends'

When she left Daegu she had just made the no.1 player; a smile proudly escalating on her face at the thought of seeing her username at the top.

Rank 1. @mymomisanalien (+friend)
Rank 2. @sheepbutterfly

"What!" She screeched and jumped to her feet, earning stares and glares from other customers.

She apologised and thanked the waitress as she set her Pepsi can down on the black leather coaster.

"I'm rank two?" She mumbled to herself and tugged on her hair. "How did this happen? What do I do?"

She slouched back in the chair and cracked her fingers and neck before sliding on the headphones and pressing 'Play'

"I will get back to rank one."

-yngjwon