Thirty seven - Habits

I sank back to the comfort of my pillow with my hand on my head. If my mum's text had sobered me, this woman's voice had cured my body ache.

"Quincy Thorne. Where the hell have you been these days?"

My only friend laughed richly. I felt a bit homesick listening to her voice after so many days. "It's Quincy Thorne-Collingwood. I got married!"

I was shocked. "No way."

"You have no idea about the things you missed out here. I have so much to tell you. What's the time there right now?"

I checked the time. "It's nearly 5 a.m. here. We can catch up right now if you want. I just need to freshen up."

"No. Adam and I are going to his grandfather's place. Things are a complete mess here. My life has turned into a family drama and it's being televised all over the UK, all thanks to my stupid husband's family name."

I whistled slowly. "Worse than mine?"

"Nope. Nothing can beat yours. Speaking of dramas... I read the emails, and how the hell did that bitch dare to send you those deadly tulips? I swear if I see her again—"

"Quincy," I snapped.

She sighed. "Right. Sorry. No one is allowed to disrespect her except you. Forgot that. When can we talk properly? It's 8 pm here. I can stay up at night if that's convenient for you."

I sat up straight with my fist clutching the sheet onto my chest and got up from the bed. "I don't know... I don't want you to stay awake so late. You need rest."

"I slept all day," she deadpanned. "I think morning sickness is a myth because I feel sick all day. Adam treats me like a goddamn porcelain doll—God. We really do need to catch up soon."

"Is this your new number?" I walked to my window to pull the curtains properly. The sun wasn't up yet and I didn't want any early risers to see me naked. I stopped when I saw a man sitting outside on the grass, in between the flower bushes.

What the...

"Yes. I managed to back up my emails but lost some of my old texts. I'll tell you everything that happened later!"

I peeked through the curtain to figure out what he was doing. "Uh-huh. Can't wait to hear it. Hey Quincy, do you mind if I call you later?"

"Sure. Bye."

After freshening up, I put on my thickest jumper and robe, grabbed the door key, and left. Shivering in the cold, I walked behind my cottage to find Noah in the same position with flower petals surrounding him. I looked over his shoulder to find him plucking petals and mumbling.

"... likes me. She likes me not. She likes me. She likes me not. She likes me. She likes—"

I crossed my arms, chuckling. "You have got to be kidding me."

Noah didn't even bother to look at me. "I should kill her and dump her body in the ocean. I should not kill her and not dump her body in the ocean. I should kill her and dump her body in the ocean. I should not—"

I laughed at his silliness. "Stop hurting those poor flowers, Noah."

He plucked another petal. "Go away."

I hopped over the tiny bushes and stood in front of him. Noah refused to look at me, holding a flower stem with only a single petal on it. He was wearing black tight-fit pants and a grey hoodie coated with sweat.

"Did you even sleep?"

"I passed out shortly after you left. Took a cold shower twice to sober myself and went on a run around the island."