Chapter 20

About 30 minutes passed before the door to my room opened. I had been somewhat meditating with my eyes closed, but I opened them and looked over. It was that scientist woman whose name I still didn't know.

"Ah, Ms. L/N, good to see that you're awake!" She said with a smile.

"Please, call me Y/N. Ms. L/N sounds far more sophisticated than I am."

"Alright, Y/N. Well, you're needed in the lab. The higher-ups want a sample of this black liquid, and I had mentioned that you can...summon those tendrils of what you called liquid negativity."

They are NOT taking a sample of me. Nightmare growled.

I winced. "He's...not fond of that idea. Remember, I can't control those tendrils. If you tried to take a sample, he'd just stab everyone trying."

"It's that or try to take a sample from your brain, and that could kill you..."

Nightmare, could you just cooperate with this?

No. I will absolutely cause mayhem if they try to take any amount of liquid negativity.

You don't want me to die, though, right?

...

Nightmare, PLEASE.

And what's in it for me, huh? Getting studied by scientists was not in my plans for today.

Since when did you have plans...?

"Y/N?"

I looked over at the woman. "One moment, trying to convince Nightmare to let you take a sample."

Look, I'll...come visit you or something. Is that sufficient?

Nightmare was quiet for a bit and I tilted my head. Fine. But no more than a vial, or I will cause havoc.

I breathed a sigh of relief. "He says okay, but he doesn't want you taking more than a vial."

The woman nodded. "I'll drop you off at the lab and go grab another shirt for you since summoning those tendrils messed up your other one."

"I might just end up layering up shirts so I stop destroying all the shirts you give me," I said, grinning.

She chuckled and left the room. I followed.

"What's your name, by the way? I never did ask..."

"Samantha, but everyone just calls me Sam."

"Sam. I'll try to remember that." I smiled.

"Out of curiosity, does this Nightmare...talk to you much?"

"Not really...sometimes he has an input or a comment to give, but he's mostly silent. He does watch us, though he can only see what I see."

Nightmare sighed heavily. You really need to keep those details to yourself, human.

Well, sorry. I'm not going to not tell them. I don't exactly have anything to hide at this point. And also, I have a name. Geez.

Nightmare tched slightly but said nothing else.

I rolled my eyes a bit but also remained silent for the rest of the walk.

She let me into the lab and walked off elsewhere to grab another shirt.

The scientists all looked at me with curiosity. It was a rather calculating gaze than a friendly kind of curiosity. I didn't like it.