18 - A Heroic Hero

The same moment I was awake the next day, I was already out the door and halfway to the Ayfel. Whiplash has nothing on me. Nevermind the fact that it was still rather dark out. I didn't care, all I wanted was that illusion.

I was fairly certain that Aymiae didn't want me to come get it right away, but I was fine with waiting at the Ayfel if I had to. I just didn't want to wait a second longer than necessary. As predicted, Aymiae was woken up by my pounding but still somehow seemed amused at my actions. She brought me inside without a second thought and had me make breakfast for the two of us while she put the finishing touches on the illusion.

I hummed happily as I stirred the pot, occasionally adding a spice or two to the porridge and glancing at the diced fruit. I couldn't ruin the whole thing by adding them too early after all...

I was probably making a bit too much, but cooking in the ayfel was really weird. It felt like I should be making food for over a dozen little girls instead of just me and Aymi. For the first time in a while, I let myself feel the pang of sadness at that unique loss.

The front door opened and I glanced toward it, blinking. I didn't think that Aymiae had anyone else coming so-

Hivren blinked back at me. "Oh! Eliax! Great to see you. Is... is Aymiae here?"

I nodded, and after plopping the fruit bits into the concoction, I mixed the porridge extra hard for a second and set down the spoon. "She's just back here, did you need something from her?"

Hivren nodded, gesturing toward the basket he held under one arm, "She asked me to get her some alchemical ingredients."

I examined the basket idly for a moment and decided I needed to look into alchemy one of these days. I opened the door for him and followed behind as we set about locating Aymiae. Hivren seemed to know where she would be though, and before I knew it, we found our way to Lady Raia's old study, apparently repurposed for the various magical disciplines that Aymi dabbled in.

Honestly it boggled my mind how many different types of magic she was proficient in. Illusionism, alchemy apparently, I was pretty sure she had an air magic affinity somewhere, and she always had been interested in Yeran magic.

When I walked into her workshop to see a gun mounted on one of the walls I decided she'd definitely gotten into Yeran stuff. Perhaps a bit too far.

She glanced up when we entered and brightened at the load of ingredients before taking them from Hivren and setting them beside a shelf of potions for later sorting. "Thank you, thank you! Is breakfast ready yet?"

I scrunched up my face, "Mostly."

Aymi picked up the necklace she'd been working on and gingerly handed it to me, "There you are, to activate the illusion you just put it on, It should only work on you. Just add some power to it every day or so after hard use and you're golden. If anything weird happens with it, let me know immediately!" She glanced at Hivren, "Ah, try it out later and if it doesn't work as expected then contact me."

I nodded and pocketed the simple chain, following as the other two migrated back to the kitchen, Aymiae stirred the contents and glanced at our companion, "Do you want some breakfast Hivren? It seems we've got too much." She sent me a knowing look but didn't give me time to apologize.

--

I stood in a particularly obscure corner of the abandoned palace half an hour later, staring at the chain and gripping a newly-purchased mirror in one hand.

This had better work. I didn't know what I would do if it didn't.

Taking a deep breath, I unlatched the chain and brought it across my neck to clip in the back, watching my arm as a faint buzz of magic passed across my skin. I hesitantly looked into the mirror once the effect was over.