26 - Smoooooth

Sparks I had wished it wasn't this situation that led someone to find out. I could think of a million better ways to tell someone the truth than 'a possessor entity ratted me out.'

I looked back at Turste and couldn't help but glare, my voice was pleasant enough though, somehow. "...good job for using your nose? But Turste, could you go deeper into the forest for a bit, you know, there's more shade there and it might help your brain."

Turste brightened and happily plodded off, muttering about betrayal and deities.

Niun watched him leave with trepidation, looking back at me with wide eyes, "Are you-"

"No, no, no. I should have assumed that idiot would blab about it to everyone who had ears... I'm going to tell you the truth because we all need someone to trust, right?" I ran a hand through my hair, pulling out the ponytail and letting my hair fall. "You asked me earlier where I've been for the last twenty-two years?"

Niun nodded slowly, "Yes?"

"Well, It's more complicated than I gave it credit for, I didn't lie though, something happened that I couldn't have prepared for and it brought me to my lowest point." I smiled, "I died."

"What?!"

I nodded, "I died. Then I woke up twelve years later, somehow back to being a child."

"...So this is an illusion?"

"Yes," I unclipped the chain and brought it over my head, watching his expression closely and tucking it into a pocket. From Niun's widening eyes I could tell the illusion was gone.

"Eliax. You're...Eliax."

I nodded.

Niun sat down. "How is that possible? Tell me something only Eliax would know."

I hummed slightly, "I first met you in the dungeon with Illila, she told the mage guild about you practicing necromancy without someone monitoring you and you're still suspended. She also told them how I'm a dimensionalist and they got after me for not getting trained and I was salty about that for a couple of weeks."

"Sparks, then you appeared again because you wanted to change how things are done?"

I cringed, "No, that part wasn't nearly as well thought out. I just...wanted to be her again. I wanted to be able to make sense of the things happening in my head." I looked down at my hands, tempted to start bending the space between them. No, I was too close. I balled them into fists instead.

"This is insane. I'm pretty sure you're not feeding me a pack of lies, but sparks, it really feels like it." He ran a hand through his hair and then stood back up so he could start pacing. "How can you be the Hero?"

"I think it was my soul affinity that brought me back, maybe. After I died... things are weird."

"Why were you a kid?"

"A lot of my memories did fade with time, I can barely remember what happened when I actually was eight."

A faint flash of unexpected sadness snuck up on me, but that was probably just cause I was eight when my parents died. I didn't make it to the Ayfel till I was ten...and...well I did remember being on the streets for most of that time, I probably should have died a million times over.

I frowned slightly, maybe I had died. Maybe some magical ability had reset me to the state I'd been when it was first activated. But...if that was true that meant this would keep happening. I would live out my life only to come back again. And again...and again.