{Part 3}

~Dessa~

As Maggie walked away, Dessa's heart twinged with the fear that her outburst had marred her trainer's opinion of her. What if she thought she was a wimp who couldn't hack it? Dessa's stomach felt painfully full after only a few bites each of the delicious roast and potatoes. It made her feel much better than she had in weeks, but she was put out by how little she could actually eat. Her stomach had shrunk, and she worried that stretching it out would make her even hungrier tomorrow. But at least she would have a guaranteed meal to count on. She would eventually be able to work her way up to finishing her daily meal, if she managed to prove she could do this job. Not to mention, if she survived the trek through the Killing Grounds each day. Dessa sighed, looking down at all the wasted food. Her eyes wanted to gorge on it, but her stomach wouldn't let her. If she tried to force it, she would throw up and she would be worse off than she was before. She would be throwing up for days and end up dehydrated. It wasn't worth that, no matter how tasty it was.

As her thoughts strayed, and her head was more clear from finally eating something, she thought of that man's voice that had distracted Maggie enough so that she didn't have to explain her tears, and how it had sounded familiar in some way. She turned in her seat to see a man with a book in front of his face, and a cigarette in his other hand. Wisps of smoke wound like ribbons in the air. He was wearing black leather gloves, which was odd. What - is he afraid of papercuts? Dessa joked inwardly. Did he drive a motorcycle or something? He had tattoos winding around his impressively muscular arms. Aside from the book in his hand, she guessed that he would fit her idea of a biker. She couldn't see his face, but she could see that he had black hair, and he was wearing a fitted charcoal-colored T-shirt that seemed out of place among the luxurious interior of The Den. But then again, in her hoodie and jeans, she was also out of place. She didn't have anything professional-looking to wear for the interview (that never took place) so she had just put on what looked the most clean. She hadn't felt very frumpy until she had walked into The Den.

Okay, she just realized that she was gawking for far too long, so she tore her eyes away and stood to take her hardly-eaten platter of food to the kitchen, hoping that the man had been too engrossed in his book to notice her staring at him like a weirdo. He seemed to be a regular patron, based on his comment to Maggie earlier, and if that was the case, it would be pretty embarrassing to make herself look like a crybaby and  a freak who stares at people. That would be a wonderful  impression to make on someone that she would have to serve, and see often.

When Dessa walked away, a peculiar feeling stirred in her chest, like she had left something behind. She shifted the platter to one hand, thankful for Maggie's tutelage, and reached with the other to pat her hoodie pocket - reassuring herself that she hadn't left her phone on the table. She had never even pulled it out while she was sitting there. She glanced back toward the table to see if she had left anything else, but there was nothing of hers in sight. She hadn't left anything. Weird. Seeing that didn't quell the strange feeling that she was missing something.

Oh, shit!

The man she'd been staring at moments before had lowered his book enough to peer in her direction. Was she just letting her anxiety get to her, or was he glaring at her? She could only see his dark eyes fixed on her, but she went scarlet and her heart skipped a beat. Oh, God, no. He must have known that she was staring at him the entire time! He raised an eyebrow at her, and she turned around and hurried down the hallway, mortified.

Once she was back in the kitchen, Hans offered her a to-go box for the rest of her food. He looked a little miffed, like he thought that she hadn't enjoyed his cooking, and that was why she'd hardly touched it. Dessa was quick to tell him that it was the most delicious meal she'd ever had, and that she just wanted to take it home, so she didn't feel the need to scarf it down in order to get back to work. Hans only grunted in response, but his eyes lit up at the compliment as he resumed his cooking. Maggie came in a moment later with empty platters, and after she took them to the dish pit, she led Dessa to a refrigerator where she could store her leftovers, instructing her to write her name on it with a marker. And then, the training began again.