CHAPTER FIVE

Staring through the window of a public service vehicle, Laliana bopped her head slowly to the music being played in it. Ndaya by Faya Tess She then started taking pictures of everything that passed by using the  iPhone that had the pink Minnie Mouse phone case Beni bought her. That could be seen as Laliana's only most valuable thing she owned. Joni was seated on both of her laps while Zari sat on the seat just next to her mother.
                            Laliana's head was aching and she felt slightly lightheaded. That however did not stop her from playing with her children. She had to be strong for them despite the numerous challenges she was facing. "Look, there's a traffic light... and over there too!" She told Zara and Joni whose big innocent eyes followed their mother's index finger where she pointed the traffic lights. Joni was a complete mini replica of his late father except he did not possess his late father's unique eyes. Zara had her mother's long eyelashes and her father's lobbed ears.
                               Laliana savoured everything she saw through the window . That could be the last day she was seeing the beautiful Nairobi city. The journey from Langata, where she was offered temporary shelter by Nara to the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport was about a forty minute drive. She would surely miss seeing the fantastic architecture of the numerous buildings that proved to show how far Kenya had come. She surely would miss the unique workmanship portrayed by the men and women as they walked and run up and down the streets.
                            "Mom, smokies!" The children shouted in unison after spotting several carts lined up in a strategic corner.Through the colourless cases ot the carts one could see smoked sausages, some samosas and others boiled eggs. "Wait till we get out of the bus, then I can get you smokies!" Laliana replied with the same energy as her children. She took out her small green money purse which was next to a series of blister packs which contained different forms of cheap painkillers that were inside her  second hand,weather beaten leather handbag. Five thousand shillings was what Nara had given to her. More than fair enough. Given to what she had been doing to help her, that money was like providence from a guardian angel. A guardian angel that is always often considered an absentee in many a person's life.
                                Again, Laliana did not realise that she was crying until she felt her son rub of a stray tear from her right cheek. "Why you crying again mom?" Joni asked. " Don't worry son, mom's got something in her eye ," Laliana gave a white lie which Joni blindly believed. The truth however was that she had never imagined that she would be blessed with such a wonderful friend . A friend who she valued even more than her own sister.
                                   Laliana wondered how a good woman like Nara would be related to a leopard in sheep's skin, Beni. Laliana remembered how broken Nara was when she learnt about her brother's execution. Nara was and had always been passionately in denial even though she was showed more than enough evidence that her brother was involved in illegal activities that involved many murders. Laliana knew better than not to bring that topic whenever she was with her. She did not even mention to her the day Beni abused her just to avoid damaging her relationship with Nara.
                             ....

                           Laliana was checked into the aeroplane together with her twins. The tickets had the names Brian W. Mingo, Stephanie E. Email and Patrick V. Pango respectively. Those were definitely not their names but they were somehow allowed to enter the plane. That made Laliana have an unsettling feeling down her stomach. That's what you get for trusting a shady agency to find you a job. Better prepare for uncertain, unusual and definitely the unpredictable. "For my children and myself. I am ready!" Laliana whispered to herself. Destination, New York city!

Thanks for reading upto to this chapter.
How do you see it ? 🙂😋🤪!