seventeen

chapitre dix-sept
━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

On Christmas morning, joy and laughter filled the air. Eagerly leaving her cozy bedroom, she wore a soft, billowy nightgown, her feet dancing across the frost-kissed floor. Drawn by the lively voices, she moved effortlessly toward the heartwarming scene. Her parents stood beside a magnificent tree, radiating tender joy, while Marcel, with his golden locks and sparkling eyes, adorned it with care. Each ornament found its place amidst the pine needles in a scene brimming with warmth and affection.

Isra couldn't help but rush towards the tree, her eyes fixed on the treasures nestled beneath its branches. Laughter danced around the room as she approached, her infectious enthusiasm spreading pure delight. "Are all these wonderful gifts for me?" she exclaimed with genuine excitement.

Her father, his eyes twinkling warmly, replied, "Not all, my dear Isra. But a few are just for you."

Excitedly clutching the gifts bearing her name, Isra headed for the inviting sofa, eager to unwrap them. But before she could dive into this joyful task, her mother gently halted her. With a caring tone, her mother lovingly asked her to get ready for the day and join everyone for breakfast.

Reluctantly setting the presents down on the nearby table. With a sense of subdued longing, she readied herself for the day. She washed her face, cleaned her teeth, and brushed her hair. The fabric of her dress, a muted shade of cornflower blue, whispered against her skin, while delicate lace embellishments adorned the collar and cuffs. As she adjusted the hemline to fall demurely just below her knees, Isra caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Satisfied with her appearance, she hurried back into the living room.

"Can we open the presents now?" she asked eagerly, hurrying toward the tree.

Bending down, she picked up a gift tagged with her name, giving it a gentle shake, her eyes filled with curiosity.

"Your father got you that one," Samia disclosed with a smile.

Isra turned, her gaze moving between the faces around her, a grin spreading across her lips. When Marcel returned the grin, she blushed slightly, though she maintained her cool despite thoughts of mistletoe and their almost-kiss lingering in her mind.

"Really, baba?" She quickly settled on the couch beside him, her fingers excitedly working to untie the ribbon. All eyes were on her, waiting for the moment she would unwrap the gift.

Using careful anticipation, she lifted the box's lid, and her eyes widened in wonder. Inside lay a stunningly crafted necklace, its pendant adorned with a radiant blue gemstone, reminiscent of the vibrant hues of the Mediterranean Sea.

Her father's gaze softened with paternal affection as he explained, "I spotted this in a shop window on my way to work a couple of weeks ago, and it instantly made me think of you. I realize we've faced challenges together in these past few months, and I acknowledge I could've handled things better. I hope you'll forgive me. I love you."

Gratitude swelled within Isra as her fingers traced the necklace's intricate patterns. "Baba, it's beautiful. Thank you. I truly love it, and I love you."

She embraced her father. He assisted in fastening the necklace, and from that instant onward, she vowed to keep it close and never remove it.

She moved on to her mother's gift, carefully unwrapping the paper with gentle precision. Handling the satin ribbon delicately, she let it cascade gracefully into her hands.

Wrapped within layers of tissue paper was a custom-tailored dress, crafted with meticulous attention to detail. The fabric, a sumptuous velvet in a deep emerald green, shimmered under her gaze. Lifting the dress, she admired its exquisite craftsmanship. The bodice boasted intricate lace patterns woven with threads of gold and silver, while the skirt flowed in elegant pleats, promising movement and sophistication. Isra's fingertips glided over the luxurious fabric.