VI. Beach Day

I opened my eyes to a certain someone's annoying voice and my lights turned on rather rapidly.

"Looks like you're finally awake. Get up, sleeping beauty, Caine's got another adventure for us today." Jax spoke with blatant sarcasm in his tone.

"Five more minutes.." I mumbled incoherently, turning on my bed to face the wall instead of the purple rabbit. I pulled the blankets over my head to remain warm.

"I said get up." He jabbed back with sass.

"I said five more minutes."

"...Fine. If Caine gets mad at ya, don't blame me!"

Jax closed the door, leaving me with my own thoughts. Once I was sure he had moved far enough, my eyes shot open and I threw off my blankets to get out of bed. My feet carried me straight to my closet and I got on my knees, parting the hanging leotards to see behind.

After digging through a few miscellaneous items, my hands finally landed on the box I had been searching for. After pulling it out of the closet, I set it on the ground and opened it.

My breath stopped for a moment as dozens of papers fell to the ground once I turned over the box. Some of Kaufmo's crayons, paints, and markers he gave to me tumbled out as well. I rummaged for a blank sheet for a while and finally found one under the pile of disturbing drawings.

In little time, I had sketched out the figure's eyes. The ones I had seen last night. I then drew the dark surroundings of my circus equipment.

Once done, I placed the sheet with all the others. My heart felt strained as my eyes glanced over all of them.

Each one contained the same crazed eyes staring at me in my slumber. They were in a different location for every single drawing I had made from memory, but remained perched on top of my equipment.

These drawings were now a way for me to determine months, as I had made so many they could piece together almost half a year. As I looked closely, I felt fear twinge in my stomach. From the first to the most recent pictures the eyes inched closer. Not close enough to come into contact with me, but close enough to where I could see their rather small scleras. Their pupils were unsettlingly large.

I tucked away all the drawings and shoved the box back into my closet, standing and brushing myself off. I looked in the small mirror I had requested from Caine to be hung in my room and put on the nicest smile I could.

"Are ya done admiring yourself yet?"

Jax snickered as he witnessed me flinch and turn to his voice. "Just playin' with you. Take all the time in the world." His grin curled to one like a cheshire cat, holding all the smugness in the world. He continued to stare at me, leaning against my doorway.

I tut at him and returned to my reflection. A small strand of my waxy hair had fallen from the slick hairstyle I had arrived with. I didn't bother to tuck it back in. Maybe it was time for some change.

"I'm done, actually. Do you need a turn?" I called over to Jax. He huffed and lifted himself off the doorway, beginning to walk out with confidence that I'd follow.

"Nah, I already know I'm beautiful. Might fall for myself even harder if I look in a mirror." He smirked haughtily. I flicked his head and walked on without him.

He yelped and frowned at me, calling out, "Hey, where ya goin!?" I ignored him and continued on.

Knock, knock, knock.

A whimper of mangled emotions came from the other side of the door.

"Pomni, hey, it's Somer. Are you alright? After yesterday and everything that happened, I want to check in on you." I spoke softly, leaning close to the door.