HOLIDAY SPECIAL

"HEEEEEEEEEELP!"

I woke with a start to Ragatha's piercing scream traveling through the hall of rooms. Without a second thought, I jumped out of my bed and ran over to her room.

"Ragatha, what-"

Jax stood in front of the poor ragdoll, holding a centipede with a tiny Santa hat in front of her face. She cowered in fear and crawled to the corner to avoid her terrorist.

"G'morning, sunshine! I got a lovely little present for dollface over here, but she doesn't know how to appreciate it.." Jax grinned at you wickedly, bouncing with the centipede in his arms like he was a mother and it was his precious baby. 

"Give it, Jax." I held out my hand.

"Nuh uh."

"I said give it."

"Why should I?"

A few seconds of silence had passed before I violently lunged at him, wrestling for the creature in his hand. Ragatha shrieked once again and teared up in the corner she had inched her way to.

"..What's happening..?" Gangle peeked into the doorway - then got scared and teared up as well, covering her mouth in shock. "Sorry, Gangle- AH!"

I had tried to apologize for the mess Gangle was witnessing, but Jax took the opportunity to flip us over and attempted to keep me pinned to the ground.

"I TOLD YOU TO GIVE IT TO ME!" I yelled at Jax, shoving him back to the floor and twisting his hand for the centipede.

"NO! HE'S IN THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT! LEAVE HIM BE!" He overextended my arm trying to yank his 'child' back.

"YOU LITTLE JACK[BONK], GIVE ME THE CENTIPEDE BEFORE I BASH YOUR HEAD INTO THE WALL-"

"LET ME GIVE HIM TO RAGATHAAAAAA!"

"Who's yelling over here?" Kinger had woken up as well, groggily making his way to the room as well. He stood at the door, one eye blinking in an extremely slow manner, the other drifting off into the distance. "AAH-"

Caine popped into the room, conveniently right above Jax and I. "Merry Christmas everyo- Oh! Oh, dear.."

A singular snap was enough for Caine to have everybody downstairs, including Zooble (who dressed as Santa for us since they didn't celebrate Christmas, they celebrated Hanukkah instead. Christmas was an exception only for us) and Bubble. He even separated Jax and I, putting us at different ends of the lineup.

We were in front of the massive (and I mean massive) Christmas tree he always put up in December. It was our only real indication of what time it was in this world and how many years we'd each been here. Of course, you could ask Caine - being the AI and all, he had the real-time dates embedded in his system - but sometimes it felt better waiting for the holidays.

Zooble adjusted their beard and hat before stuffing their suit with some of Kinger's fortress. The large black boots clanked with every step and Zooble's arm almost popped off from the sack of presents Caine made them carry.

"Ho, ho, ho. I come bearing gifts for the, uh.. the.. members of the Amazing Digital Circus." Zooble squinted at a crumpled piece of paper.

"Everyone smile, like you're taking a picture with a mall Santa! This is going in my room, kids!" A camera poofed its way into Caine's hands, and he pointed it directly at us. Zooble hobbled to the center of the tree and we huddled around, smiling and giggling like children. Jax had inched his way next to me from the other side - to make it more even, Pomni switched to the side he came from. She looked genuinely happy for once, and it made me happy to see her enjoy something here.