A Different Kind Of Business

Never lose hope. Stay close to Allah and when you mess up, go back to Him. Never, ever stop going back to Him. Repent often. Cry to Allah. And hold on tight-with your life-to His remembrance and to prayer. If you do this, you may get wet, but insha Allah never drown in this ocean of dunya

                        Yasmin Mogahed

**********************************

"Toh Maimunatu, yanzu kuma ya maganar aure?"

Seriously! And people fault me for keeping off relatives.

I suppress the intense need to roll my eyes at that and instead manage a wry smile because, of course, I cannot display such to my aunt who is beaming with joy from being happy to see me after a prolonged time. And after all the rejoicing of that and necessary pleasantries, she posed the question and is now pinning me with an awaiting stare as she waits for my response.

"It is not yet time for that Anty Jamila," I stated curtly, hoping that would bring an end to it but I know better.

"What do you mean it is not time for it?" She asks, her brows slightly furrowing. "When will it be time for it then? Make me understand what you are still waiting for because I fail to. All your mates here are married, some with kids, and you ought to also do the same already," She begins to rant and I let out a small inaudible sigh to release some of my agitation while sending Karima an accusing look to let her know that I blame her for forcing me here. Now look what I have to endure. Karima responds with an apologetic one but the smug smile playing across her face suggests she is enjoying it. I listen to more of it as Anty Jamila continues, "Yanzu kinga nan da sati daya za a kawo kayan sa ranan auren Rukayya diyar Mardiyya, kuma kanwar kice. Even your younger ones are setting for husband's house. That reminds me, a small walima is scheduled for that day. Many of our cousins and their children will be present. You should join too, 'yan uwa duk an dade ba a ganki ba, kizo kiyi zumunci," she conveyed the last part like it was a directive. As if I am going to obey. Nevertheless, it provided a welcome shift in the conversation, so I played along.

"Oh, that would be nice. Where is it happening?"

"At Gwaggo Hassatu's," she informs and I nod, as if considering it. Gwaggo Hassatu, the eldest in my mom's family, is their grandaunt. My mom and Aunt Jamila were the only surviving children out of six and When their parents passed away during their teenage years, Gwaggo Hassatu, their aunt, took them in. A few years later, they were both married off. With their sibling bloodline not extending, I'm left with just one blood aunt. The hermit part of me is grateful that she's the only person I'm obligated to associate with, or so I believe.

Anty Jamila's seven children are all boys and maybe because of that, I hardly relate with them, not when I used to come here for holidays and especially not now that most of them are grownups and have pursued their paths, although she has three young ones ranging twelve to five years of age. Her husband is a junior staff at some ministry I don't know if he is promoted now, but they live a simple life within their means. Despite Abba's attempts to improve her living conditions, Anty Jamila consistently rejected his efforts until he eventually gave up.

I know it is time to leave when Anty Jamila persists in her discussions about marriage, this time, in a persuading tone "Maimunatu let me see your children before I return to my lord, you know you are the only daughter that I have and nothing will give me more joy than to see you settled too," She urges

"Okay Aunt," I sigh while getting up. "We shall see what can be done about giving you that joy," I say, tasting the sarcasm on my tongue. Marriage!? It has never been a part of the calculations in my life because if I get the concept right, it is a commitment you make to ultimately be with some man, putting up with and compromising with whatever baggage he may be made of just because you are meant to live with him for the rest of your life. That I would say is a concept that cannot be realized in my world because for one, who would I allow myself to have that with?