A Great Length Of Boundary

On that Day, we will see the true reality. On that Day, we will realize that two rak'at (units) of prayer were greater than everything in the heavens and the earth. We will realize the priceless check that was left on our doorstep every night as we slept. There will come a day when we would give up everything under the sky just to come back and pray those two rak'at.

Yasmin Mogahed

_____________________________

MUKHTAR

~~~

I try to get a hold of what Imran is saying as I get in and out of my trance because my mind is occupied with a certain incident that occurred earlier. That is not how I planned my first meeting with her. I have been a little on edge since Alhaji Mamman informed me that she would be coming to see me, anticipated her arrival every day for the past week and carefully speculated how to take things up with her, and out of all the ways that it could go wrong, I'd never imagine I will be the one that will come off offensive and have her raging out on me.

But I couldn't help myself and I couldn't hold myself back from expressing my disappointment. I have seen how desperately important this is for her father, and she comes in here and tosses it in the trash. God how I wanted to scold some sense into her but held myself back, delivering a stern message that left her fuming and exiting in frustration.

I know there are repercussions for that, no one needs to tell me that I have fallen under her persona non grata, so I don't exactly know how to pick up with her and fulfill my task, and more significantly what to tell Alhaji Mamman when he asks me about it because to be honest, that is the only thing I am concerned about.

"So what do you think about my idea?" Imran asks, snapping me out of it, again.

I have no idea what he is asking about. But I know what the subject is. We had a meeting earlier with clients representing an automotive company from China, exploring possibilities for a merger and company expansion. The outcome wasn't very promising, and they mentioned they'd reconsider. Imran is now innovating more convincing strategies.

"I think it is..." I pause, adjusting my position and rubbing my forehead, "Sorry Imran, come again please?"

"Are you serious?" He asks, sounding frustrated.

"Sorry," I apologize. "I just have this thing on my mind,"

"Yeah, I can see that. You've been off since I walked in here. What's up with you?" He asks with an expectant look.

I decide to confide in him hopefully he comes up with a solution.

"So you know Alhaji Mamman's daughter is coming to start working here and I am supposed to be her guide and all,"
Imran's face immediately lit up with curiosity

"Daulah? No, I don't know because you didn't tell me," There is a hint of accusation in his voice but I brush it off

"Well, she is," I say stiffly.

"That is interesting," He comments, his face mirroring the interest. "So how is it going?"

"That is the issue, it didn't go well."

"I imagine it wouldn't, that girl is a piece of work." Imran remarks, and I don't see how that is helping. "So what happened?"

"Let's just say I angered her, and I don't think she is going to want to see me again. But that is not my main concern. What do I tell Alhaji Mamman?"

Imran leans forward, intertwining his fingers on the desk. "I can't help if you don't spill the details. How exactly did you anger her? Give me the full story," he insists.