a horrific idea

"What is this?" I asked, taking in the towering structure in front of me. 

My skin chilled and the hairs at the back of my neck bristled. Severed body parts dangled from the rafters, blood was splattered across the walls, and there was the pungent stench of synthetic fog clogging my nostrils. Strobing lights were disorienting my vision and the sound of screams echoed from every room in the building. A man stood at the gate dressed like the grim reaper, gesturing to the door where he was taking tickets. 

Absolutely terrified, I had to ask again, "Robin. What is this?" 

"The essence of October!" Robin grinned proudly, pointing out on his phone that we were only a week and a half from Halloween. "You said I could choose our first project, so I went with this one. What do you think?" 

"And which romantic trope is this supposed to research?" If I could, I would have tunneled my into the pavement. When he noticed my stalling, Robin pushed me toward the entrance. I continued, "Last time I checked The Conjuring was not a love story!" 

Robin responded, promptly, if not cheekily, "All horror movies are love stories to some degree." 

 I had let him choose as a courtesy, thinking it would help restore the bounds of professionalism between us and break the ice on our working together. My aim was to build trust between us, and I told him as much when we were on the phone. To which, Robin said he had a great idea and that he would pick me up in the afternoon. The last thing I had in mind when I got into his car was showing up to the most horrifying building I'd ever seen, on the outskirts of town, with no way out. Not to mention the sun was rapidly going down, leaving us driving home in the dark together. This was classic murder material. 

The grim reaper was getting closer, and I could see shadows moving in the hallway before us. Plumes of smoke puffed ahead, and in the distance, I heard a chain saw rawer to life. A woman was crying and screaming to be let out. Fear stabbed through my chest and adrenaline flushed my bloodstream. 

Robin held out our tickets to the grim reaper, who twisted his head toward my face. Stopping the line with his gloved hand, the reaper observed me slowly as we approached the gate.  On second thought, the pink, flowery coat, and white boots weren't the most intimidating combo I could think of. But all Robin said was "dress warm and comfortably." This coat was warm. These boots were comfortable. Neither were chosen under the impression I would be walking through a haunted house today.

A chuckle rumbled through the mask, "They're going to eat you alive." 

"Okay, I'm out! Thank you! I've seen enough!"  

Robin snatched me before I could dart away. Wrapping his arms around mine, he held me to his chest so that I stood securely in front of him. My fingers gripped his arms tightly, no doubt hard enough to leave bruises or at least nail marks. He was wearing a navy-blue sweater and jeans, the most invisible outfit on the planet, but it was warm enough for his body heat to radiate off him and onto me as I stumbled into him. 

From the outsider's perspective, I'm sure the two of us looked hilarious. I would have chuckled at us from across the parking lot if I saw this scene. I may have even daydreamed about it for a while. However, now that I was experiencing it front and center, the situation wasn't as amusing. I didn't feel cute, I felt like a cat hovering over a bathtub. Except that bathtub was filled with every nightmare I ever had. 

"Oh god." Nausea was turning my stomach. I shook my head, slamming my eyes shut, "I can't do this, Robin. I'm going to throw up."

Robin was still pushing us through, ignoring my pleas as my feet stumbled over the gate. The hinges creaked behind us before clicking shut, sealing my fate. I didn't care that I was practically mending myself to Robin's front side. Hell, if I could do this thing clinging to his back and my face buried in his hoodie, I would. Professionalism be damned.

He laughed a little, guiding me down the small hallway, "You said you wanted to build trust. This way is tried and true." 

"I meant a trust fall in the park or telling an embarrassing secret. Like, once in the third grade I accidentally peed my pants but told everyone I spilled water. Something like that!" I was practically crying, my voice shaking as the elevator doors approached. 

This horror house was unique. Apparently, you had to take an elevator all the way to the top of the building and find your way down the levels to get back out. There were nine floors. As in the nine circles of hell. Each one got progressively worse, no doubt.

 Robin pressed the button, still holding me tightly against him. He was completely calm. The asshole wasn't even trembling. I on the other hand was going to pass out, throw up, and shit my pants all at the same time. 

"You said I would learn a skill today," Throwing out my hands to the side of the elevator doors, I planted my feet as firmly as they would go and locked my thighs. I even went so far as to hunch my back and block him from pushing me in. Robin wordlessly picked me up by the waist like I weighed nothing and detached my hands from the doorframe. 

As he carried me into the elevator, I shouted at the top of my lungs, "All I've learned so far is that you are the devil!" 

This pulled a hearty laugh from Robin, who wrapped his arms tighter around me, probably in an effort to help calm me down, or catch me in case I really passed out or broke free. Taking deep breaths, I tried to calm down, but it didn't help. I'm sure the rise in blood pressure couldn't be good for my concussion, my heart felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest. 

The doors closed, and he spoke calmly, "I am teaching you a skill. A really valuable one." 

"Which one?" My body was shaking, and my fingertips were going cold. Every floor that passed was one more I would have to walk down. Everything in me was screaming to flee. "How to not trust you! Because check. Got it! I will never trust you again. Now take me down." 

We reached the top, and my hands curled around his arms desperately, pressing them tighter against me as if he were the seatbelt on a roller coaster. If I was going on this godforsaken ride, I would lock that shit down. He wasn't going anywhere. 

Robin spoke by my ear as the doors opened. "I'm teaching you how to survive a horror movie." 

A scream shattered my ears, and I realized it was my own, as a shadow began crawling toward us from across the room. Robin laughed like this place was Disneyland and I was the main attraction.

----

Good day friends!

So, today I tried a new type of latte, and I changed. Anatomically. It is sooo good and I am dying to talk about it. It was a white chocolate and rose latte, and I was nervous because it sounded sweet. Therefore, I asked the barista (who is my supplier at this point) to reduce the sweetness and it was *chefs kiss*. 

Do you have a favorite or go to coffee order? Have I asked this before? Who knows at this point, I have caffeine and sugar rushing through my veins. Nothing can stop me >:D 

Anyway! Don't forget to vote, comment, and share if you are enjoying my little story. 

With love, 

e.g.