Week Four, Monday

Week Four, Monday

    Ayano feels like, if people drove down the streets that lead to Akademi in the morning, she and her friends would be considered a road block.

    That may have to do with the fact that Ayano is walking with not one, not two, not even three, but seven of her friends. Riku, Kokona, and Uekiya walk with the group this morning, and it’s interesting. Riku sticks by Kokona’s side, but occasionally he and Kizano talk about the play. Uekiya and Taro are in their own little world, talking about plants. Osano tries to barge in every so often, to say something to Taro, but he gives up when they pay him no mind. For the most part, he just walks in silence with Ayano, and they both finish waking up as they walk down the street. Amao, well, he hasn’t said a word, just holding one of Ayano’s hands and trying to stay awake.

    When they get to school, the group splits. Taro and Uekiya go off to garden, Riku goes to hang out...wherever he goes in the morning, and Kokona goes to the Rainbow Six. 

    Ayano looks at the fountain, and doesn’t feel like waiting by it. Truthfully, she doesn’t want to test and see if Otohiko is actually done.

    “Want to go make food in the Cooking Room?” She asks Amao and Osano. “You can come with us, Kizano.”

    Amao looks at Ayano, then at the fountain, and he gets it. “Yeah, let’s go make some octodogs. We can hand them out to everyone.”

    Osano agrees, and Kizano does too. So the four of them spend their morning in the Cooking Room, with Kizano watching as the other three make the sausage squids. He follows Ayano when she goes to hand them out, not wanting to leave her alone while the other boys go to hand out their octodogs.

    Class goes by calmly, and when the bell for lunch rings, Kizano and Osano walk alongside Ayano. Nobody seems on edge, or worried about Otohiko. It’s nice.

    So, when half of lunch goes by, and Ayano feels like she’s being watched, she starts to wonder if her rejection wasn’t enough. Nobody else seems to be worried, but Ayano can’t shake the feeling of eyes on her. Ayano looks around, and at first, she doesn’t notice anything.

    But then she spots Oko, watching her. She sighs, relieved as she remembers him from yesterday.

    She stands and walks over to the timid boy. Oko, realizing he’s been spotted, does not run. Instead, he just shrinks in on himself.

    “I’m sorry,” Oko starts. “I know I shouldn’t have been watching, I just…”

    “Recognized me?” Ayano fills in, and he nods. “Why not join us, Oko? We don’t mind.”

    Oko looks at her, shocked. “Really? You want me to join you?”

    Ayano nods, smiling at him. “Yeah, of course. It’s better that you sit with us instead of just watching from a distance.”

    It’s not a joke, but Oko laughs at it. The sound makes Ayano smile genuinely. 

    “Alright, if you’re sure that the others don’t mind.”

    “They don’t, trust me.” Ayano doesn’t know for sure, but she doubts that they’ll exclude Oko.

    So Oko follows her. When they sit down, some of her friends seem confused by the sudden arrival. 

    “This is my new friend, Oko,” Ayano says, and Osano just looks at her oddly.

    “When did you two meet?” He asks. “I’ve never seen you guys talk.”

    “We ran into each other yesterday,” Ayano says, and Oko tries to hide his snort.

    “Oko!” Amao says, smiling. “We’re in the same class, aren’t we? I thought I saw you.”

    Oko nods. “Yes, I’ve...been away for a while.”

    “Why is that?” Uekiya asks. 

    “Oh, I...I was just sick, that’s all.” Oko fidgets with his hands while he speaks, and Ayano gets the urge to reach out and take one of his hands. She doesn’t do that, however, because that’s, well, rude.

    “Are you feeling better now?” Uekiya asks, and Oko nods, embarrassed by the attention.

    Luckily, Kizano decides to tell a story about himself for the rest of lunch, and Oko slowly relaxes beside Ayano.

    All in all, it’s a great time.

    When lunch ends, Ayano and her friends walk back to their classes. The teacher hands out a pop quiz, and the rest of the afternoon flies by in a rush. Cleaning time goes by relatively fast, and soon enough, Ayano is in the gym, working with the rest of her club members to memorize their lines.

    The day continues to speed by, and Ayano is walking home before she knows it with Osano, Amao, and Kizano. Osano rants about the pop quiz all the way home, and Ayano is amused by his rambling. Before Ayano realizes it, she’s waving them all goodnight and closing the door.

    As Ayano goes through her nightly routine, she wonders if she’ll see Oko more this week. She hopes so. After all, the boy seems really sweet.

    The walls chip, just a little bit more.

Notes:

I'm so so so sorry i've been gone so long, as an apology, i'll post four chapters today. I promise i wont disappear ever again😞🙏.

875 words.