Week Five, Tuesday

Week Five, Tuesday

    Ayano feels different, putting on the Student Council uniform. Wearing the long-sleeved coat, rather than her short-sleeved uniform that she’s donned for the last four weeks...she feels more noticeable. It’s like she’s put on a target, but this one won’t have people aiming at her. Instead, it just differentiates her, and makes people see her in a different light.

    She looks more respectable, more formal. It’s a new look for Ayano, and the opposite of the Ayano she used to be. At her old school, she never stood out. Look at her now.

    Ayano fixes her red bowtie before opening the door. All five boys are waiting outside, and they all stare at the new outfit.

    “Wow,” Aso says, grinning. “Yan, you look great !”

    The rest of the boys repeat the sentiment, and Ayano’s face heats up. She giggles.

    “Thank you. Now come on, let’s head to school.” She locks her door and leads the way, ready to get through another school day.

    After a few minutes, the boys are used to Ayano’s new look and go back to their conversations. Aso clears his throat and looks at Ayano, a shy smile on his face.

    “So, Yan,” Aso starts. “I tried asking you yesterday, but I got distracted by cookies.” He laughs, and Ayano can’t help but join. “Want to go for a run with me? Well, I guess a jog, so we can talk, but same idea!”

    “Sure, Aso. When?” Ayano agrees immediately, and Aso’s steps seem to lighten, becoming bouncier.

    “Oh! When we get to school? We can head back to the track.” 

    “Alright, that works for me.”

    “Great!” Aso’s pace quicks, and Ayano laughs.

    “You don’t need to rush, there’s plenty of time when we get there.”

    Aso shoots her another grin before slowing back down. “You’re right, sorry.” He doesn’t look apologetic, and Ayano doesn’t mind.

    Oko cuts into the conversation then. “Hey, Ayano...I was wondering...if you don’t mind...could you tell the Student Council that someone has stolen...our…” Oko mumbles the rest, fidgeting with his hands.

    Ayano separates his hands, holding one of them. “Stolen what, Oko?” 

    “We had a book stolen...on demon summoning…” Oko says again, louder this time. 

    Ayano frowns. “I’ll talk to them, and see what we can do.” She pauses to think for a moment, hand reaching for her necklace subconsciously. “Did you see anyone new in the Occult Room recently? Or anyone who isn’t a club member?”

    Oko shakes his head after a moment. “No, I don’t remember seeing anyone.”

    “When did you last see the book?” 

    So they must’ve stolen it during the school day. Perhaps at lunch?

    “Alright, thank you. I’ll talk to the girls when I go there during lunch, and we’ll figure this out. You’ll have your book back as soon as possible.”