Chapter 125

"You didn't do this, did you?"

"You seem to view me as no better than an animal."

"I- I'm glad you didn't. How on earth did she end up like this......!"

"Don't try to find out the whole story. You should value your life."

"Y- yes......"

Startled, the doctor sat up straight and examined Edith's body.

"Fortunately, it doesn't look like any of her bones are broken. From now on, every morning and evening, compress her body with warm water before applying the ointment I prescribed."

"Will that be all? Shouldn't you give her some medicine or something?"

"I'll decide on medication once I've examined her after she's awake. I don't think she's been resting or eating properly, so she should take absolute rest for the time being."

"I see."

Despite being told twice more that the bruises themselves were no big deal, just that they looked bad, Killian asked the doctor to wait for him at the mansion.

But a few moments later, Duke Ludwig summoned Killian and Cliff, saying he wanted to see what had happened inside the dungeon.

Killian gritted his teeth and rose to his feet.

"Take care of Edith while I'm gone, Anna."

"Don't worry, young master. If you need my testimony, I can talk for hours, so just call me."

"Thank you."

Killian made his way to the Duke's office, feeling a sense of camaraderie with the maid he had never paid attention to before.

When he entered, the Duke was wiping his bloodied hands on a towel.

All of the Riegelhoffs and their minions had apparently been executed.

"Sit."

As soon as Killian sat down, Cliff arrived.

Sensing the icy mood of his two sons, the Duke sighed deeply and sank back into his seat.

"Who should I ask.......?"

When the Duke muttered in a troubled tone, Killian spoke without looking at his brother.

"Do you have anything to say about what happened earlier, brother?"

"......"

"Let me tell you, father. I'm a little angry, so I might come off as a little harsh, but you can correct me later."

"Okay."

For the first time, the Duke gave Killian the floor, not Cliff.

And that day in the Duke's office, there was a long talk about the truth they didn't know.

***

So warm.

I no longer felt the bone-chilling cold that made me shiver.

'I'm...... alive......'

I slowly opened my eyes, brushing the soft surface of the bedding beneath my palms.

As my blurry vision cleared, I stiffened briefly at the familiar yet unfamiliar surroundings, but I quickly realized that this was Killian's room.

'Where is Killian?'

I sat up, my body aching from the slightest movement, and looked around. But there was no one there, not even Killian.

'I'm scared......'